Sump Suggestions

Silvertongue700

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2021
I’m about to setup a 210 and want to go with at least a 90 gallon sump only because 300g of water sounds good. I haven’t been able to find a 90g sump however. Any suggestions?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Nice and even 300g huh? I think you'd want more like a 150g sump for that since your not gonna be running the sump full.

Most important concerning sump size is that it's at least able to contain whatever water will drain from the main tank in the event of a power failure or pump malfunction. Your overflow and return line setup will determine exactly how much water this would be i.e. how deep the display tank will end up draining.

Besides that go as big as you can. More space in your sump is never a bad thing imo

I have a 210g tank with a roughly 100g sump. I figure the whole system contains around 250g of actual water.
20230101_234636.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use a 125 gal tank, as a sump for my 180 gal main tank.
The 125 is a comparatively shallow tank, so maintenance is easy no matter where it's situated.
But I prefer my sumps to be set off to the side, not directly under, and not enclosed in any way, which allows for even easier access..
I used to put them directly under tanks but this seemed to restrict creativity in filtration inovation, and make me go thru all kinds of physical contortions to maintain such gear as pumps, plumbing and other in a confined space..
I also like to have most of the sump footprint to be planted, and only a small area for pump, bio-and mechanical media, using only a Matten foam block for mechanical, and a few bags of media for bio.
To me the plants are the most important factor in filtration, acting as both ammonia and nitrate consumers, since being set up this way, I have never had an even a trace of ammonia, nitrite, and no detectable nitrate.
My sump below.
IMG_6829.jpeg

IMG_5952.jpeg
As seen from above
IMG_5883.jpeg
Beside plants, a population of shrimp reside in the sump that help break down organic matter to be better used by the plants, below seen policing debris from the Matten foam, mechanical media, they also eat any food that overflows into the sump. Pumps are not shut down during feeding the main tank.
IMG_8907.jpeg

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
I’m about to setup a 210 and want to go with at least a 90 gallon sump only because 300g of water sounds good. I haven’t been able to find a 90g sump however. Any suggestions?
Unless you're running your tank Overstock and then still there's ways around it you don't need a sump that big I went from an 80 gallon sump to a 600 and to be honest the 80 gallon sump I liked more it was easier to clean easier to get into there was more room underneath the stand in the 80 gallon contained everything I needed. Instead of worrying about the size of the sump go buy a sulfur denitateor and an algae scrubber

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store