Supernaturals Sunset Gold sand planted tank

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Hello,

has anybody successfully kept plants long-term in Sunset Gold? If, so do you use liquid or dry fertilizers to supplement? Has this sand given you any problems with water cloudiness or clogging your pumps/filters? I purchased a bunch of this sand for my 180g freshwater tank, but am kind of having second thoughts about the grain size. Any help, pics, or advice would be awesome. Thank you!

link for the sand I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/Caribsea-Nat...s=sunset+gold+sand&qid=1634405780&sr=8-2&th=1

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Have caribe sand and not clogged my filters. Had to rinse to remove the cloudiness. I’ve seen some tanks with just sand and were “ok” at keeping rooted plants. Usually easy to grow like cryptocornea. The sand should be fine but most I’ve seen would keep dirt or a substrate layer with nutrients and cap with sand. Even then root tabs may be needed for heavy root feeding plants. Just my two cents. Can throw in a wishing well for someone with experience.

Reactions: clm08k

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
I love the color of this sand. However, it's very light in density and the sand is very fine. A mild flow will blow it to a direction easily. Or make holes and uneven levels of the substrate. That is my only problem with it. So plants will get uprooted pretty easy. I really like to use it but it's way to light for my liking.

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
1. Would capping the sand with a heavier substrate be a good or bad idea? Would that create anaerobic areas?

2. Any recommendations for lights? The tank is a standard 72x 24x24 acryllic. The top is the style that has the two squares as an opening. It has a canopy. The previous owner appeared to use T5s, but there is no ballast. I've tried looking at the FAQs and in some of the planted forums, but I'm as confused as ever. I read that it is better to get 2-36 inch lights as opposed to 1- 72 inch due to bending. That makes sense. However, I am unsure how many lights I need and which ones will penetrate to 24 inch depth? I'm open to any ideas, but would prefer it if the light could sit in the canopy if possible. The tank is one where it has the two rectangles cut in the top.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Capping the sand would be fine. If the substrate is more than 3-4 inches then it could create some anaerobic bacteria.

Most lights should work for a 2ft height IMO. Used a cheap led from Amazon and my plants were fine.

Reactions: clm08k
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store