SW STONEFISH

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
how hard are they to keep?

Could 1 be kept in a 3' tank thats 39cm high and 41cm wide for life?

are they easy to keep?

i am refering to the true stonefish, the lethal fellows

can you guys please give me some help, i don't have them yet

nativelover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
socal
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
i am refering to the true stonefish said:
:screwy: why keep a lethal fish in a small tank? :screwy:

first of all, (since its lethal) id recommend a 4ft x 2ftx2ft tank. just so when your cleaning the tank you can keep your distance. im not sure how big they get, im guessing no bigger than a foot. make sure you have atleast 4inches of sand, and some large lava rock scattered in the tank with algea and plants anchored to them.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
The Reef Stonefish is the most venomous fish in the world. It has thirteen stout spines in the dorsal fin which can inject a highly toxic venom. The venom causes intense pain and is believed to have killed many Pacific and Indian Ocean islanders. No deaths have been recorded in Australia since European arrival (Underhill, 1987). An antivenom developed in 1959 further reduces the likelihood of death. Despite this, many people suffer the agony of a sting every year. Very hot water (not scalding) can be used to relieve the pain, but medical treatment should be sought.

Reef Stonefish grow to 35 cm in length, although 50 cm 'monsters' have been reported. They are extremely well camouflaged, looking like an encrusted rock or lump of coral. Reef Stonefish are usually brown or grey and may have patches of yellow, orange or red. They usually live on rubble or coral bottoms, often under rocks or ledges, but are also known to be able to bury in sand using their large pectoral fins.

The Reef Stonefish is widely distributed throughout tropical, marine waters of the Indo-Pacific. In Australia it is recorded from much of the Great Barrier Reef, Queensland, to far northern New South Wales.

The Reef Stonefish eats fishes and crustacea. It usually waits for prey to swim past, and then strikes with incredible speed. High speed camera equipment is required to record the feeding of this species.

Predators of the Reef Stonefish include sharks and rays. Jeff Johnson, Fish Collection Manager at the Queensland Museum stated, "I have seen stonefishes in gut contents of large sharks (tigers and white pointers). Also small stonefishes are taken by Stokes Sea Snake, Astrotia stokesii. Stonefish bones have also been found in Aboriginal middens.".

View low resolution movie clips of the head of a stonefish (91k)and a stonefish swimming (58k). Go to the movies page for high and low resolution versions.

Two species of stonefishes are recorded from Australia, the Reef Stonefish and the Estuary Stonefish, Synanceia horrida . One of the ways to tell the two species apart is the placement of the eyes. The eyes of the Reef Stonefish are separated by a deep depression, however those of the Estuary Stonefish are elevated and separated by a bony ridge.

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/students/focus/sverruc.htm

i found this through a google hope it helps

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
sorry for bringing this up again, but thanks for the replies!

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I've kept one before. Pretty basic care. But it's nuts to do for a private keeper. There's too much risk. You'd be dead before you realized you made a mistake.
At the time, I was working with about 50 animals that could kill me. The only one I had to sit down and "regroup" for was the stonefish.

He was in a 10x4x2 tank (w/ locking top), 2" deep sand bottom with a small amount of live rock. Took 10-15 minutes just to find the stupid thing before working in there. I always had a second person to watch him while I worked for safety. Fed him live food daily.

He is now on display to the Oklahoma Aquarium.

FishDude121

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2006
Florida
I thought I was crazy going for the venomous devilfish, which i still plan on adding... but dude... a StoneFish???? those things will mess you up... and you prob wont live to tell about it either. stick with devilfish lionfish scorpions... still venomous and territorial... just not LETHAL :-D

tat2punk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Them things are crazy. Seen one at a LFS once and you couldn't even see him in a small tank until he was pointed out to me. Only reason I actually seen it was because of the big sign on the tank, "STAY AWAY, This Fish will KILL YOU!". Of course, when you see a sign like that you have to see what it is and the guy fed him for me so I could get a look at him.

Seems like it would be a boring, yet exciting fish to have. He hides all the time so you can't see him, but can kill you if your not careful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store