SW sump with skimmer and no baffles

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I've read the micro bubble deal but it seems like a non issue. Once your skimmer is tuned and broken in they should be pretty minimal.

There's a practice called micro scrubbing where someone intentionally micros their tank. It's actually pretty interesting.

My sump will have a float valve connected to an ro top off. The skimmer will be on eggcrate to raise it.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
The setup is a fowlr (maybe some softies). I'm wanting to cut down on the rock inside the tank to use for swimming space.

I want to replicate the fw design (no baffles) I was going to use exactly like jawz has set up. Which is a filter sock intake. Then matrix in mesh bags piled around the return pump. Chaeto ball will be chunked in.

Everyone seems dead set on baffles. I understand the fuge setup but aside from that I was curious if there was something I was missing that would be a failure point.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Speaking of micro bubbles check out this surge tank setup.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
An auto top off valve, or float valve, is meant to keep the water level in your sump constant. They work exactly the same as the float valve in your toilet.

Are you putting together a salt water tank? I would guess you would use an appropriate fresh water supply with the auto top off to help maintain a constant salinity as well as water level. Water evaporates... salt doesn't.
No not me but was asking because of the question of evaporation but duh... the salt water would need to constantly supplied, i didnt think of that

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
No not me but was asking because of the question of evaporation but duh... the salt water would need to constantly supplied, i didnt think of that
If you're constantly supplying saltwater, your salinity will steadily rise. You need to also be removing the same volume of saltwater. A lot of people use a litermeter III to add/remove saltwater from their tanks. It can be accurate down to the mL. The automatic top off for evaporation needs to supply RODI water to replace the evaporated water.

Reactions: TheWolfman

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Salt does not evaporate out of the tank as the water evaporates the salt stays in the tank and the salinity rises. A ato replaces the evaporated water with fresh water to keep the salinity level consistent.

Reactions: Oughtsix

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Salt does not evaporate out of the tank as the water evaporates the salt stays in the tank and the salinity rises. A ato replaces the evaporated water with fresh water to keep the salinity level consistent.
Ahh good point. I was aware of the salt not evaporating but didnt take into account how it would cause salinity to rise. Thx for the explanation

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store