Swami’s Tidepool Biotype - Near Future!

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I would really like to make a saltwater bio type of a beach near me called Swami’s. Swami’s has tidepools, and it is filled with life. I want to create a biotype of the tidepools there. Unfortunately, you are unable to collect animals, or even rocks at swamis, so that leaves me looking for the most common fish in Swami’s tidepools. So this is the stock that I want:

5 Tidepool Sculpins
A few Kelp or Shore crabs.
Multiple periwinkle snails
1 Sunburst Anemones
Derby Bryozoan
1 Sand Dollar
Some kind of small nudibranch - Hopkins rose, Spanish shawl, something like that
Volcano or Rough Limpet
A few broken-back shrimp
A few small kelp leaves
Sea Lettuce
Some kind of small plants
2 Chitons
Some Scavenging Isopods

So, here are my questions. Will a 20-30g tank be good for all of this? What salinity is normal for tidepools? How much will this all cost? Do I need a chiller?
Do I need to cycle the tank, or can I use media from my freshwater tanks?Any And all information is useful.

Thanks for reading!

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I know of someone who converted from freshwater to brakish (lower than ocean salinity). It took quite a bit of time to get the cycle started again since salt cause the ammonia eating bacteria to loss efficiency or hibernate as it got used to salinity.

So yes you need to cycle the tank even if you were to use media from another tank. There's no instant cycle.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Cool idea
Thanks.

I know of someone who converted from freshwater to brakish (lower than ocean salinity). It took quite a bit of time to get the cycle started again since salt cause the ammonia eating bacteria to loss efficiency or hibernate as it got used to salinity.

So yes you need to cycle the tank even if you were to use media from another tank. There's no instant cycle.
Cycling isn’t much of a problem then, unless it is different with saltwater tanks.

My main question, if anybody knows, Is if I am aloud to take live animals or plants from tidepools, or if it is legal to take certain animals. Are there any loopholes?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thanks.

Cycling isn’t much of a problem then, unless it is different with saltwater tanks.

My main question, if anybody knows, Is if I am aloud to take live animals or plants from tidepools, or if it is legal to take certain animals. Are there any loopholes?
California states you cannot transport live wild animals from its "home" location to another location (alive). You have to have a permit.

Restricted Species Laws and Regulations DFW 1312d

You also need permission for plants not on your property

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Sand dollars are supposedly very hard to keep alive, and when echinoderms die it can be devastating for a tank.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Sand dollars are supposedly very hard to keep alive, and when echinoderms die it can be devastating for a tank.
Oh. Well it will still be impossible to get these fish, unless my mom can pull some strings with her biology friends and try and get me a permit.

Reactions: Deadeye

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Holy crap I am having a De Ja Vu moment here......

• Haha
Reactions: Deadeye and jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store