eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I have a male rivulatus who lost the ability to swim properly over the course of a few days. His equilibrium is fine but he lies on the bottom most of the day. He can swim with a lot of effort and is still eating and otherwise looks healthy. All the other fish in the tank are fine. I read it’s possible the cause can be over feeding so I’ll try fasting him but I also read a bacterial infection could be the culprit. They sell antibiotics for swim bladder disorders but are they any different than other antibiotics on the market?

DA7FC428-D5D5-47AA-8BCD-35B5C136D7EF.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Just want to clarify. Is the swimming erratic and unable to right itself? Or main issue it’s lying there? I’d dose some pure/unscented epsom salt 3tbsp per 5g, feed some metroplex and see if things get better. If not consider kanamycin.

Reactions: tlindsey

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
Just want to clarify. Is the swimming erratic and unable to right itself? Or main issue it’s lying there? I’d dose some pure/unscented epsom salt 3tbsp per 5g, feed some metroplex and see if things get better. If not consider kanamycin.
He doesn’t have any issues keeping his balance and he can swim normally other than it’s apparent he doesn’t have any buoyancy. Every other fish I’ve seen with swim bladder issues has struggled and been much more stressed than he appears. I tried bumping the temp up to the mid 80’s and added salt (not Epsom, just sea salt) and added Paraguard which is my go to remedy if I’m not sure of the correct course of treatment. Unfortunately I don’t have a hospital tank and that much Epsom salt sounds lethal to my pleco and roseline barbs. I can order the Metroplex and kanamycin, though. Thanks for your help!

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
I was ordering your recommendations and I’m confused what you mean by feeling the Metroplex.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store