Switching to goldfish?

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I have my 135 gal setup with sa cichlids which i really enjoy and have had for close to a year now, sad to say but I think I'm ready for something different now. I was hoping to upgrade the 135 to give my cichlids more space but doesn't look like it's going to happen so I might sell all my stock and do a bare tank with fancy goldfish I can get from an importer near me. With river stones and plants in there pots inside the water.

How many fancys can comfortably live in a 135? And what temp? Is driftwood ok ? Wanted to keep my fancy plecos with them but idk if the temp would be a problem

Reactions: GamerChick5567

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Goldfish are happy at almost any temperature. I kept them with tropicals at 78F with no problems for years. People who breed them keep them at room temperature, bumping it up byabout 5 degrees farenheit to induce spawning, sometimes lowering the temp to about 55F to simulate winter. As to how many you can put in a 135, it depends on a lot of things. There are many types, that I will put in 3 groups:
1)Common, Comet, Wakin, Wantonai, Bristol all grow to about a foot. I would not put in more than 3.
2)Ryukin, Jikin, ranchu, Lionhead, Vieltail, Oranda, Moor, Telescope, eggfish all grow to 6-9 inches. I would not put in more than 8.
3)Pearlscale, Tosakin, Bubbleeye, Celestial can't swim well, so although they are the same size as Ryukin, etc., I'd put in a few more.
I am very liberal with stocking, some people would cut the numbers in half, and say no group 1 fish in a 135. All fish from 1 are strong swimmers and may outcompete fish in 2&3 for food. All fish in 3 are delicate and may be hurt by more boisterous tankmates from the other two groups. Only fish from group 1 will take temperatures below 55F kindly. The plecos may eat the slime coating off the goldfish if they are underfed, so be careful. Also, goldfish do better with a little more greens in their diet, so a food for carnivorous cichlids shold be supplemented with cooked spinach or spirulina. Driftwood is OK, but if you raise the ph, the goldfish will have healthier fins. I'd keep the driftwood and throw some shells or coral sand into my sump/canister/hob. All sizes are for full grown fish. Many people buy a lot of small goldfish, and then give away/sell all but their favorites as they grow. Plants are hit or miss with goldfish, but the fancier the variety, the less it will like plants.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Some of the fancy plecos like it in the low 80's... however should be ok in the high 70's. The more common plecos can handle high 60's going into the 70's. Each pleco really needs it's own research to find the best temp.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Okay so i was thinking of leaving my sand and driftwood for my plecos. I will have an airstone and sump so I'm sure I have enough aeration. And temperature at like 75-76 with maybe some bamboo and other plants inside
I was hoping for some ranchu and orandas and lion heads they are what really grabbed my attention. Hoping for different colorations to keep it interesting. I definitely don't want to see any aggression like my cichlids so do they battle it out or do well and peaceful ? @J.H.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Goldfish are happy at almost any temperature. I kept them with tropicals at 78F with no problems for years. People who breed them keep them at room temperature, bumping it up byabout 5 degrees farenheit to induce spawning, sometimes lowering the temp to about 55F to simulate winter. As to how many you can put in a 135, it depends on a lot of things. There are many types, that I will put in 3 groups:
1)Common, Comet, Wakin, Wantonai, Bristol all grow to about a foot. I would not put in more than 3.
2)Ryukin, Jikin, ranchu, Lionhead, Vieltail, Oranda, Moor, Telescope, eggfish all grow to 6-9 inches. I would not put in more than 8.
3)Pearlscale, Tosakin, Bubbleeye, Celestial can't swim well, so although they are the same size as Ryukin, etc., I'd put in a few more.
I am very liberal with stocking, some people would cut the numbers in half, and say no group 1 fish in a 135. All fish from 1 are strong swimmers and may outcompete fish in 2&3 for food. All fish in 3 are delicate and may be hurt by more boisterous tankmates from the other two groups. Only fish from group 1 will take temperatures below 55F kindly. The plecos may eat the slime coating off the goldfish if they are underfed, so be careful. Also, goldfish do better with a little more greens in their diet, so a food for carnivorous cichlids shold be supplemented with cooked spinach or spirulina. Driftwood is OK, but if you raise the ph, the goldfish will have healthier fins. I'd keep the driftwood and throw some shells or coral sand into my sump/canister/hob. All sizes are for full grown fish. Many people buy a lot of small goldfish, and then give away/sell all but their favorites as they grow. Plants are hit or miss with goldfish, but the fancier the variety, the less it will like plants.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Okay so i was thinking of leaving my sand and driftwood for my plecos. I will have an airstone and sump so I'm sure I have enough aeration. And temperature at like 75-76 with maybe some bamboo and other plants inside
I was hoping for some ranchu and orandas and lion heads they are what really grabbed my attention. Hoping for different colorations to keep it interesting. I definitely don't want to see any aggression like my cichlids so do they battle it out or do well and peaceful ? @J.H.
Mid 70s with good aeration is good for the goldfish. The goldfish will love the sand, they will play with it and carry it all over the tank. I have never seen bamboo submerged, but if you are growing it emergent it is tough plant that should do well with any goldfish. Goldfish are, as far as I know, never aggressive at all. The males may chase and bump the females when they are ready to spawn, and some may eat so fast that their tankmates don't get a chance, but that is as far is it goes. I have heard of someone who ended up with one female ranchu in a tank of over ten males, and when they began to get ready to spawn, they bumped the female so much, she had to be moved to a different tank. Be careful though, with small tankmates, goldfish will eat snails and fish that they can squeeze into their mouths. Many people say White Cloud Mountain Minnows are good goldfish tankmates, but any goldfish I have kept at 3" or bigger decided they were food.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I have my ryukins in with shubumkins and koi. I've never seen any kinda aggression with goldfish varietys.

I'd just watch the decor. Lion heads can easily get hurt on sharp objects. So be sure the drift wood is mostly smooth or where they won't hit their heads.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
The biggest threat to fancy goldfish is obstacles that they can trap themselves in. It's usually a filter tube, heater, or one of those cave decorations they manage to half squeeze through. You kind of have to baby proof the tank for the bulbous idiots. -and LOTS of aeration especially if you're doing raised temps (there is more oxygen in colder water) I'm not a fan but once they get baseball sized they really do start to grow on you. Cichlid aggression can get old sometimes it's nice to have a peaceful tank or 3 as well ;)
Bamboo works good just take it out for a few days when it starts to decline. Javan fern, moss balls and crinum might be options as well but goldfish (and pleco's) will destroy most other plants

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
I dont want to hijack your thread Alex, but I"m pretty much in the EXACT same situation. I just (today) put my Jaguar down and have a 125 completely empty. My Father in law has a pond with koi and pond goldfish. The goldfish seem to max out about 6" and have flowing fins, but are streamlined for the most part. The look like the picture i just googled.
I'm wondering what type they are.

I also want to use river rocks, plants (i'm making my own with clay pots and plants from michaels) and was thinking about bare bottom other than those things.
I've heard goldfish can choke on gravel. Is that true?
I figure cleaning the tank might be easier without the sand or gravel and just the larger stones.

pond goldfish.jpg

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store