Long fin sarasa comets. Had one before

Barebottom is easiest by far to keep clean with these ones
awesome, thanks!

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I dont want to hijack your thread Alex, but I"m pretty much in the EXACT same situation. I just (today) put my Jaguar down and have a 125 completely empty. My Father in law has a pond with koi and pond goldfish. The goldfish seem to max out about 6" and have flowing fins, but are streamlined for the most part. The look like the picture i just googled.
I'm wondering what type they are.

I also want to use river rocks, plants (i'm making my own with clay pots and plants from michaels) and was thinking about bare bottom other than those things.
I've heard goldfish can choke on gravel. Is that true?
I figure cleaning the tank might be easier without the sand or gravel and just the larger stones.

View attachment 1250355
That's awesome I was thinking bare bottom but I heard they enjoy sand and my black sand will make their colors pop. I wouldn't do pond goldfish in a fish tank look into fancy goldfish they are awesome like ranchu lion heads and oranda

Reactions: Ang

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Long fin sarasa comets. Had one before

Barebottom is easiest by far to keep clean with these ones
That's awesome I was thinking bare bottom but I heard they enjoy sand and my black sand will make their colors pop. I wouldn't do pond goldfish in a fish tank look into fancy goldfish they are awesome like ranchu lion heads and oranda
I have kept sarasa comets as well. Mine died due to fin rot introduced by a fish my sister stuck in the tank while I was away :( , still its good to have family members who like fish. :) at 5" (not including tails).
In my opinion, they are the perfect balance. Enough fancy to be strikingly beautiful, and enough 'unfancy' to swim well and gracefully. Hendre, it may be easier to care for them with a barebottom, but keeping goldfish without substrate, I feel, just isn't right. At least put marbles on the bottom for them to roll around. You get happier, more active goldfish that way. "pond goldfish" just grow a little bigger and swim a little better. A big tank with moderqate flow should be good.

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
I have kept sarasa comets as well. Mine died due to fin rot introduced by a fish my sister stuck in the tank while I was away :( , still its good to have family members who like fish. :) at 5" (not including tails).
In my opinion, they are the perfect balance. Enough fancy to be strikingly beautiful, and enough 'unfancy' to swim well and gracefully. Hendre, it may be easier to care for them with a barebottom, but keeping goldfish without substrate, I feel, just isn't right. At least put marbles on the bottom for them to roll around. You get happier, more active goldfish that way. "pond goldfish" just grow a little bigger and swim a little better. A big tank with moderqate flow should be good.
I was going to put river stones, plastic plants and slowly add other stuff like pretty glass stones and maybe a SpongeBob pineapple house. Haha!
I have an FX5 and Aquaclear hob right now

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
I'm actually excited to put stuff in the tank since all my other fish destroyed everything

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I'm actually excited to put stuff in the tank since all my other fish destroyed everything
I have 2 fake plants that I will put in little pots with stones but I'm actually going to attach live plants onto my driftwood and hope they do well, my cichlids demanded fake plants bc they ate the real ones. I will try to get some plants to grow and cover the overflow section

Reactions: Ang

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
I have 2 fake plants that I will put in little pots with stones but I'm actually going to attach live plants onto my driftwood and hope they do well, my cichlids demanded fake plants bc they ate the real ones. I will try to get some plants to grow and cover the overflow section
I want to do that too!
I don't know if the comets will eat them though. I would love to finally have live plants!

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I want to do that too!
I don't know if the comets will eat them though. I would love to finally have live plants!
I saw some ppl have like water lettuce or lily type looking plants just floating on the surface it looks awesome I will try to imitate that aswell

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Comets will eat plants, but not rip them up the way cichlids do. If you put in glasses full of pebbles, you can put in plants, otherwise they will dig them y. Enough plants and fast enough growing plants and you should have no problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store