Switching to goldfish?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I didn't have the option of sand at the time. But the gravel I had filled up in no time with waste. A shallow layer of sand is probably beneficial :)

I only have 3 of my goldfish left, 13 died due to an internal infection of sorts that survived treatment or other things over time. The past 3 are okay and my girlfriend gave me 3 more. Wish they were in a big tank inside and not in a tote outside for my aquaponics

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Wish they were in a big tank inside and not in a tote outside for my aquaponics
If you have a thin piece of plexiglass, you can put a window on your goldfish tote. Can you post pictures of your aquaponics setup? I am thinking of getting into that.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If you have a thin piece of plexiglass, you can put a window on your goldfish tote. Can you post pictures of your aquaponics setup? I am thinking of getting into that.
It's a bit of a mess right now, will get some soon :eek:

Not worth it really, just check in on them from above

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
go with substrate- it's the easiest to vac and doesn't show off your fish poo in between clean outs. - also it creates a better environment for healthy bacteria so issues like fin rot and other horrors are more easily avoided. Crinums have huge roots- if cichlids can't/won't uproot them it's safe to say gold fish wont mess with them either. There are also plants you don't have to root at all- and plants that might grow faster than they can be eaten-water lettuce wisteria and sprites ect

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
I have Windelov Java fern attached to driftwood and anubias attached to driftwood. The Ryukins don't eat those. They do pick at the algae growing on some of the tips of the java fern, but that's about it.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
The key is growing lots of fast growing plants and they seem to still thrive with some plant eaters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store