Swordtail Bloat? Dropsy?

WolfFisho1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have a red eyed red sail fin male sword tail who has an abdomen that is inflated in size, and scales are poking out all along the stomach and sides, and throat. My first thought was dropsy, but he has been alive for 2 months with this inflated stomach, and I am pretty sure that dropsy would have taken its course by now, as it known as a fairly fast acting problem. So my other thought was bloat?

what do you guys think? and how should i treat it?

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
if the fish sorta looks like a pineapple then its bloat. if the fish is all bloated out already, it may be too late to save it (by that time kidney and swim bladder damage has already occurred). i would put it in a hospital tank, and use Metronidazole (Emtryl or Flagyl), or Clout (id prefer to use clout-but be forewarned its strong stuff! lol) .

i would keep the lights off (these meds arent affected by UV like some antibiotics are), and use EPSON salt-NOT AQUARIUM SALT. youll just kill the fish with aquarium salt.

if your other fish are affected then you need to treat the whole tank since bloat is caused by a protazoa (parasite) in the intestines.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
well, if its been a month-i would bet the fish has irreversible organ damage by now-i hate to say it but i would probably flush the poor guy-i dont think he will get better.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
scottgeeze;2593792; said:
I'm not exactly sure but I would isolate him in a hospital tank or flush him. Look on-line for some fish websites concerning disease.
Flushing is not a good means of performing euthanasia on a fish. It involves more pain as the fish goes through the ordeal of survivng the chemicals in the sewers, etc. Either freeze, use clove oil or decapitate the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store