Tales of nostalgia

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
On this forum we have a wide range of ages, both male and female. And an even wider range of knowledge, from complete newbies right up to our esteemed experts (no names because I don't want to embarrass, or more importantly, miss anyone out!)

However, it dosen't matter what level of expertise any of us are at, one simple fact remains. The fact that at one time each and every single one of us knew absolutely nothing about our hobby. Believe it or not, at one point way way back in history, even RD. RD. and duanes duanes knew diddly squat (although in their cases I think divine intervention took place, they were born with fish keeping knowledge, lol).

So, due to the miserable fact that we are stuck in unable to do much at all at the minute, I thought i'd create this thread where we can all have a light hearted trip down memory lane to try and recall our humble beginnings in our wonderful hobby. Some posts may be a bit long winded but hey, we've got plenty of time on our hands to read haven't we!

I'll start off. I'll try and keep mine short because i've waffled enough already. So here goes......

I was around 7 or 8 when my dad bought a small tank for myself, my brother and sister. I recall not being interested at that time though I do remember that every time the tank looked green my dad would rip it down and blitz everything in the sink. I also recall watching the 3 goldfish we had staying on the bottom motionless for hours and hours after each cleaning session. I shudder now thinking about what them fish had to go through.

When I was about 10 I started fishing at this small lodge at the bottom of our field. It was full of sticklebacks and minnows and occasionally we'd catch the odd bullhead. Then a few years later a guy put some bigger fish in. I'd never seen or heard of this fish before. They were perch. I'll never forget the first time I caught one. I was memorised by the red fins, its spiky dorsal fin and huge mouth. That day was the day I became hooked on angling and i've been angling ever since.

At some point I decided I wasn't happy just catching fish and returning them, I wanted to keep them so I could watch them at home too. And that's when I started keeping fish, about 3 small perch in a tiny tank. Of course there were disasters along the way due to my naivety but eventually I got the hang of it and had a few successes along the way. However, I was still quite young at this point, I was moving around a lot and moving tanks with me was a pain, so I got rid of the tanks and stopped keeping fish.

I stayed away from the hobby for 15-20 years and then in 2008 I met my wife. We married in 2014. I was, at last, settled and happy and so I made the decision to get back into fishkeeping. It was like starting from scratch again, i'd forgot everything, even basic stuff like the nitrogen cycle. I struggled at first but after a lot of reading on the web I began to find my feet again. And then on 31.12.15 I found MFK and made myself a member. I've come on in leaps and bounds over the past 5 years or so and I consider myself a half decent hobbyist, though i've still a lot to learn.

So, in a nutshell that's my story. Let's hear your tales of nostalgia.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I remember when I was a kid sometime in the early 90's my dad had a 20 gallon tank we would keep goldfish in. I always was interested in them and I remember crying when a big silver goldfish died. We kept large goldfish in the 20 gallon and didn't maintain it well enough, but they lived for many years. I know we had a big 8" or so shubunkin in there when I started learning about fish more, and I told my pops we had to give the fish to someone with a pond. He thought I was crazy but obliged. Started working at a mom + pop pet store when I was 14 and the rest is history!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My dad bought me a small aquarium when I was 7 or 8, in the 1950s.
Started collecting cichlids almost immediately.
Had to stop when I was drafted, but kept in touch watching fish in streams and rice paddies of Viet Nam.
Returned to the hobby soon after.
Learned to scuba dive and started visiting places my favorite cichlids came from, and diving with them. Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia and other places in Central America.
Went back to school, and my major field of study was water science, which led to working as a microbiologist/water chemist for about 20 years, in a water filtration plant.
Now retired, moved to Panama where a number of cichlids are endemic.

pinfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2020
For my sixth or seventh birthday my parents sat me down at the dinner table, told me to close my eyes, and to not open them until they told me. I opened my eyes on my cue and was stuck staring at a large glass bowl. I felt like I was going to cry... How could my parents think I wanted a glass bowl for my birthday?! Did they even know me at all?! I of course, not wanting to make them upset went, "OH BOY A GLASS BOWL JUST WHAT I WANTED!" while choking back tears. My parents looked at me and said "do you know what it is?" to which I responded "a glass bowl...?" They started laughing and told me we were going to a pet store to pick up my first fish, a Betta. I picked out a gorgeous Betta (may be biased because he was my first fish) and I named him Betta. Most creative naming award goes to yours truly. LOL! Years passed and I went through a few Betta fish, I feel bad for them now knowing that I didn't need to put them in a mug and clean out their tank all the time like my mom insisted on doing, along with many other things I'm sure we did wrong at that point in my life. Once my fourth Betta named Guppy ( I know I'm the world's best fish namer) passed away in 5th grade? Middle school? I don't know, I took a LONG break. About a year ago I started again and oh boy oh boy! I went from one 10 gal with some platies and mollies, super amateur ugly looking tank(I've prob rearranged that thing a billion times), to buying a 30 gal, and then redoing a used 55 glass and a 75 acrylic all by myself, and next thing you know it my parents want to kill me because I have a couple hundred gallons of water surrounding my bed. Did I mention I wasn't allowed anymore tanks after the 30? Or that I carried a glass 55 gallon up my backyard hill and up two flights of stairs to get to my deck outside of my room in order to avoid the security cameras and my parents so that I could set it up before they even knew what hit them? I did the same with the 75... I'm not allowed to go out without my location shared anymore, my parents fear my addiction to fish... They call me whenever I'm at my local fish store begging me not to bring another home... I always do... I mean come on they get new types of fish every week! My mom has even started setting up tanks of her own and my dad has started to ask me to move my big fish into his office when I go off to college and has started to learn all about fish owning from me. I'm truly obsessed and have adopted the name "fish junkie" from my family. They tell me I need to go to fish rehab, but even if there was such a thing, I don't think any amount of rehab to fix my addiction... I don't want to be cured! :)

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I vaguely remember a goldfish aquarium we had in the early '80s. I would have been 4 or 5 at the time. We would go to the lake or river and catch crawfish and at times bring some home and add them to the tank. Needless to say those goldfish never had pristine fins. My little brother had an aquarium in the '90s with an angel and a dojo don't remember what else. Mom got tired of reminding him to clean it and the fish went into a local lake. We lived in the mountains of AZ so pretty sure none survived the winter.
I started with 2 turtles 18 years ago in a 10g. Within the year had a 50g planted and was working a second job at a lfs to fund my hobby. Moved the family from Colorado to NYC to help a pastor who was starting a church. My full time employ was NY Aquarium Service where I managed all the accounts in NJ and Long Is.
Now I have 12 tanks ranging from Shellies to guppies.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
For my sixth or seventh birthday my parents sat me down at the dinner table, told me to close my eyes, and to not open them until they told me. I opened my eyes on my cue and was stuck staring at a large glass bowl. I felt like I was going to cry... How could my parents think I wanted a glass bowl for my birthday?! Did they even know me at all?! I of course, not wanting to make them upset went, "OH BOY A GLASS BOWL JUST WHAT I WANTED!" while choking back tears. My parents looked at me and said "do you know what it is?" to which I responded "a glass bowl...?" They started laughing and told me we were going to a pet store to pick up my first fish, a Betta. I picked out a gorgeous Betta (may be biased because he was my first fish) and I named him Betta. Most creative naming award goes to yours truly. LOL! Years passed and I went through a few Betta fish, I feel bad for them now knowing that I didn't need to put them in a mug and clean out their tank all the time like my mom insisted on doing, along with many other things I'm sure we did wrong at that point in my life. Once my fourth Betta named Guppy ( I know I'm the world's best fish namer) passed away in 5th grade? Middle school? I don't know, I took a LONG break. About a year ago I started again and oh boy oh boy! I went from one 10 gal with some platies and mollies, super amateur ugly looking tank(I've prob rearranged that thing a billion times), to buying a 30 gal, and then redoing a used 55 glass and a 75 acrylic all by myself, and next thing you know it my parents want to kill me because I have a couple hundred gallons of water surrounding my bed. Did I mention I wasn't allowed anymore tanks after the 30? Or that I carried a glass 55 gallon up my backyard hill and up two flights of stairs to get to my deck outside of my room in order to avoid the security cameras and my parents so that I could set it up before they even knew what hit them? I did the same with the 75... I'm not allowed to go out without my location shared anymore, my parents fear my addiction to fish... They call me whenever I'm at my local fish store begging me not to bring another home... I always do... I mean come on they get new types of fish every week! My mom has even started setting up tanks of her own and my dad has started to ask me to move my big fish into his office when I go off to college and has started to learn all about fish owning from me. I'm truly obsessed and have adopted the name "fish junkie" from my family. They tell me I need to go to fish rehab, but even if there was such a thing, I don't think any amount of rehab to fix my addiction... I don't want to be cured! :)
Brought home a kitten 12yrs ago and my daughter named her "Baby" because she was a baby cat. Brought home a male kitten several years ago and he was christened Cat,... Tom Cat.

pinfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2020
Brought home a kitten 12yrs ago and my daughter named her "Baby" because she was a baby cat. Brought home a male kitten several years ago and he was christened Cat,... Tom Cat.
Ah a pro namer you got on your hands there! Named my first cow "moo," first cat "scratch," I have an Oscar named "Finley", a parrot named "Gil", a pig named "Bacon"... I'm sure you can tell I am a pro at this stuff lol

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Ah a pro namer you got on your hands there! Named my first cow "moo," first cat "scratch," I have an Oscar named "Finley", a parrot named "Gil", a pig named "Bacon"... I'm sure you can tell I am a pro at this stuff lol
American chicken named Hawk, possibly eaten by an owl, lol. Hungarian naked neck chicken named Trump because she has the Trump toupee, Barred rock named Rocky, Polish name Hey Hey from Moana.

• Haha
Reactions: pinfish

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
My mom started a pond when I was about 10 I think. This was after we had two out of three goldfish outgrow a punch bowl. Yes. A punch bowl.
They were around 4” after a couple years. I’ll never forget them being the table centerpiece.
Anyway, my mom got one of those preformed ponds from menards and setup a summer pond. That’s what got me interested in fish.
I picked out a fantail goldfish I named prosper. She had many babies haha. I kept one 1” baby in a fish bowl in my room one winter?

Ill also never forget the unfiltered 40g they spent the winter in one year. The next winter they got a 55g with an under gravel filter. It makes my back hurt just thinking about how we tore down, cleaned and scrubbed it once a month. They got ich yearly. I thought that was just what happens when fish get put somewhere new.
The following summer when the goldies went outside they decided to get tropical fish. 4 bala sharks, 6 silver dollars, 10 neon tetras, and a couple common plecos. Would it shock anyone to hear that every last one died?
So sad. We had no idea what we were doing. My mom just did whatever the store kids would tell her.

Because I loved my moms pond I wanted one of my own once I had a house. First house the yard was too small and we lived right in the middle of town. I was too worried people would mess with it.
When we bought our farm I was finally able to have a pond.
I started with a 175g preformed pond. It was so big, right? Lol We bought koi?‍♀ That led to a bigger pond and searching for forums on fish care.
It was after a trip to the aquarium that I wanted to try cichlids and that brought me here.
Like most people I search out forums because I was making all the newbe mistakes. I’m endlessly grateful for this site and it’s members ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store