Tank mate suggestinon for mid column fish with current stocking

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
I currently I have 5 upper jaw polypterus, a NTT Datnoid ~ 8 inches, and a chalceus macrolepidotus around 8 inches in a 180g. I am looking to add 1 more fish to the current stocking. I do not want to get schooling fish d/t the bioload...SDs, and tinfoils will also outcompete the poly's for food. I do not want to add another Dat or Poly atm. I would rather have some other oddball to fill the ranks. I don't want a Flagtail d/t the chane of it sucking the bichirs' slimecoat. Any suggestions? I do not have to be mindful of size/shape so it doesn't end up food.

Reactions: tlindsey

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Have 2 old Spotted Silver Dollars with my Polypterus they never out compete them for food. Probably because I fed a variety of foods. I had a Florida Gar in my 180g until it jumped out.
I love SD's but I have had bad luck with them. I always get a real manic/skittish group that contantly bang/panic into the side of the tank. They were good sized WC though....that might have something to do with it.

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Yeah leopard fish it right up my ally. So it wouldn't end up as food? My Dat attempted to eat a 5 inch flagtail lol. He loves silver fish I guess. He completely ingored 2 inch tiger scats though. Leopards max out at 8inch right? They are probably seasonal fish too, correct?

• Love
Reactions: neko1

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
Yeah leopard fish it right up my ally. So it wouldn't end up as food? My Dat attempted to eat a 5 inch flagtail lol. He loves silver fish I guess. He completely ingored 2 inch tiger scats though. Leopards max out at 8inch right? They are probably seasonal fish too, correct?
5-6 inches is more typical for leopard bushfish. Largest one I've seen was around 7 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store