Tank mates for a synodontis catfish?

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
I recently got a synodontis cat, but I've been trying to look up proper tank mates and can't really find anything solid? If anyone has advice/suggestions for tank mates, that would be awesome!

Wulfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2019
Oregon, United States
As far as I can tell, they got along with just about anything. I gave a couple to a coworker a few months ago and he keeps them with a large Angelfish, a bunch of plecos, a tiger Barb, one certain predatory fish, and others. They do spend much of the day hiding and come out to eat, so having a good hiding place is likely a must if any of the tankmates will be rowdy.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Here are my syno tanks, 120 gal and 2x 55 gal, from 10 years ago. If you look through the photos, it may give you an idea of their compatibility and potential tank mates. As stated above, they are usually easy to cohab. Once you zero in on a list, we might help you further. They should not be preyed on by larger fish and certain synos might be aggressive to each other. https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30939&hilit=120+gal

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Nick Park

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
Drogheda, Ireland
Syno's work well with mbuna in my experience. In my 120g, the mbuna have the run of most of the tank, but the syno's gather in one corner under a rocky overhang which, inevitably, has become known in our house as 'Catfish Corner'. At one point I had to rehouse a young male Green Severum in the mbuna tank due to aggression problems in another tank. He happily shares Catfish Corner with the syno's.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are almost 200 species of Synodontis, so it might depend on which species you keep, some from rivers, some small creeks, some the rift lakes. So depending on your water type, what other fish you want to keep may be a determiner.
I have kept rift lake hard water species with rift lake cichlids of all types, Tilapines have also worked well for these, and softer water types.
I tend to like my display tanks to be geographically correct , as far as species combinations go.

Last edited:

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
That last one is one hell of a nice catfish shot duanes duanes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store