Tank mates for Delhezi and Jaguar Catfish?

DactylyLungfish

Feeder Fish
Jul 29, 2022
-- Moved post to the bichir forum, sorry for double post on site--
I am setting up a 75G gallon that I plan to stock with a Delhezi and Jaguar cat. What would be a compatible tank mate to fill out the mid to upper level of the tank? Preferably something will not get over 14in but will also not get eaten or make the other fish's life a living hell (looking at you, Dempseys.) 75g is not the forever tank, will upgrade when the time comes, plan to purchase bichir&cat under 6".
-something colorful would be nice to keep the girlfriend happy
-despite getting well over 14in, I would consider a FL gar because I absolutely love them and do plan to upsize within 2yr. Info on expected captive growth rate would be helpful.
Thanks!

The Lost Tapes

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2021
Silver dollars if your tank isnt planted as they eat any plants. large barbs are good too. Large gourami's work too. I dont recommend cichlids since they almost always pick on slow fish like polys. Personally melon barbs and silverdollars have worked for me.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
African Congo tetras could work.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I can't offer any tankmate advice, but just a caveat. Jaguar catfish need some water movement in their tank: https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/help-and-advice/freshwater/catfish/jaguar-catfish

Bichirs prefer calmer water than this. Although slow and fast water fish have been mixed in the same tank by providing distinct, appropriately sized areas of flow and calm, it does depend on the species and I don't know if it would work with bichirs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store