Tank not cycling?

Darolyn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2020
I filled my new tank 75 days ago.. 37gal - gravel with a hang on the back filter.

I squeezed the filters from my cycled 10 gallon and put some of the water from it in the tank. Checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate a couple times - always 0

On day 20 - I added my fish from my 10 gallon - 5 glofish and a dwarf gourami.. for a fish in cycle. I also moved the media from my 10 gallon and added the 10 gallon filter I was using with the 40 gal filter and stability daily. I had 0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate until day 28

Day 28- 29 - had ammonia 0.25 nitrite and nitrate -0 (added prime as needed)

Day 30 - everything 0 then day 31 nitrate -5ppm

Day 31 - 0 for all 3

At day 44 added 1 keyhole and 5 very young Denison barbs - still 0 readings for everything at day 48 added another keyhole - and 3 rainbows (all juvenile)

Then day 50 started with ammonia 0.5 and have had ammonia at 0.5-1 everyday and one time 2 since then ( 26 days long! ) nitrite and nitrate have been 0 this entire time.

I do every other day water changes when there’s ammonia - add prime & stability daily.

Any suggestions for getting rid of the ammonia?!

*also I have lost 10 of the 16 fish during the 26 days of ammonia*

Reactions: tlindsey

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yeah I hate to say it but ya stocked the tank too heavily too quickly. Generally it's best to get a handful at most and let it ride for a month or 2 to let the tank catch up with the bioload. Honestly I'd recommend just sticking with what ya got atm and just wait before adding more till the tank is able to sustain itself with its current stock.

Darolyn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2020
Yeah I hate to say it but ya stocked the tank too heavily too quickly. Generally it's best to get a handful at most and let it ride for a month or 2 to let the tank catch up with the bioload. Honestly I'd recommend just sticking with what ya got atm and just wait before adding more till the tank is able to sustain itself with its current stock.
Yes, definitely not adding anything else anytime soon!

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I’d also like to add that, while you’re doing the textbook definition of what should be done to remedy your situation, you should be careful the water changes aren’t destroying your new colonies of BB in the process. If the tap water is getting into your filters or touching your substrate for too long before the neutralizer can clear it you might be restarting the issue you’re trying to get rid of. This is especially important if you’re swapping out water every other day. I’ve even been guilty of that issue once before. Also, as magnus said, bringing in more bioload probably exacerbated the situation. My advice is ask a buddy or trustworthy aquarium store for some cycled filter media and a bit of substrate you can mix in with your own. Couple that with the practice of pre mixing your tap water with chlorine/chloramine removers in a bucket for 30 seconds or so before adding it to the tank. Try to feed minimally for the time being until things can level out. Though it’s not a major impactor, you could also add some hardy live plants to the tank. They remove a small amount of nitrates and ammonia as they grow(mainly nitrates). Pothos is a good option that grows fast and is very hardy. The faster growth means the plant is needing more nutrients. Pothos also out competes a lot of algae. So, on top of the above mentioned pros, it can help control algae blooms, too. Hope this helps and that your tank settles down soon. Cheers ?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store