Tank Size/Filtration

Cempa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have a rather simple question. I'm looking at possibly getting a peacock bass and would prefer to start with a large aquarium right from the start, roughly 180 - 200 gallons. My question is, is it healthy for the fish during the early stages to be exposed to such a filtration system required for a 200 gallon tank? or would it be too much given the size, i.e. current etc? Also, would it produce enough waste to maintain the beneficial bacteria in the filter itself? I've always transferred fish from smaller aquariums to larger ones, however I've never grown the fish in the aquarium it will spend the majority of it's life.

Thanks,

Fizzicks

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I imagine a 200 gallon-ish tank will have at least 1000 gph flow, Which seems a lot for a 1.5" fish. I would probably just run a HOB filter till they were at least 3-4 inches, Then transfer the HOB media into the sump.

For the bacteria, You never need to worry about having too much surface area, only too little. There can only be as much bacteria present as needed and this will always find some equilibrium. The size of the colony will increase as the size of the fish and feedings increase.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Depending on the type of filtration, you can dial back the flow. I have a 125 with an fx6 that has the flow restricted and a 210 with a sump system and variable speed pump, also with the flow at the lowest setting. Both tanks have fish ranging from 1.5 to 3 inches.

Fizzicks

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Depending on the type of filtration, you can dial back the flow. I have a 125 with an fx6 that has the flow restricted and a 210 with a sump system and variable speed pump, also with the flow at the lowest setting. Both tanks have fish ranging from 1.5 to 3 inches.
This is a great option too, Not sure if you have a pump yet but the Jebao DCT's would be a good pump for this application.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
This is a great option too, Not sure if you have a pump yet but the Jebao DCT's would be a good pump for this application.
I am running the dct 15000. I have only had it running about a month, but love it so far. I really hope Jebao keeps the pricing low going forward, I plan on getting a few more.

Cempa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
Just use a spray bar. 5x per hour is the same flow in a 20 gallon as a 200 gallon
Yes, I guess you're right. If you're ultimately aiming for a 5x cycle per hour the flow is technically the same.

Thanks!

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Hello everyone,

I have a rather simple question. I'm looking at possibly getting a peacock bass and would prefer to start with a large aquarium right from the start, roughly 180 - 200 gallons. My question is, is it healthy for the fish during the early stages to be exposed to such a filtration system required for a 200 gallon tank? or would it be too much given the size, i.e. current etc? Also, would it produce enough waste to maintain the beneficial bacteria in the filter itself? I've always transferred fish from smaller aquariums to larger ones, however I've never grown the fish in the aquarium it will spend the majority of it's life.

Thanks,
As long as you cycle your tank your Peacock Bass should be fine. If it were me though, why not try to get a 240 gallon tank? BTW I would stay away from Temenesis they get close to 3 feet, may be to big for even a 240 gallon tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store