Tank Size for African Oddities

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm helping a friend do an African set up. My friend and me were thinking of putting an African Butterfly, Leopard Leaf Fish and/or African Knife Fish, and 4 Congo Tetras in a Tank. What's a good size tank and what's a good set up for them?

Slim2634

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Central Ohio
african butterfly fish dont get big so a 20 gallon would probably be good but the african knife fish get about 12 inches (most get about 8 inches) so i would say a 55 gallon and you can get some more tetras or something. i dont know what a leopard leaf fish is though sorry.

dougefresh

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Delaware
i say go with a 55, i don't know what the leaf fish is.........i'd get more then one knife.......i have to and i love em.......i'd personally stock it more though...........

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
african BF and leaf fish need next to no room so id say a 55 would be great for the knives. or you could add some bichirs and do a breeder instead.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

It is a common misconception that Pantodon buchholzi does not need much room. Although they seem passive most of the time, they "wake up" when live food hits the surface. A 20 gal will be too small to allow this spectacular natural feeding behavor to develop. A 55 gal will be well suited for a pair. Toss a cricket in the tank and you'll see what I mean...

The knife gets big, so you may even want to think about a future upgrade for a 55 gal.

Congos are beautiful fish, but they will eat any plants you may choose to incorporate in your set-up. Especially the butterflies will appreciate some surface cover (either Vallisneria or floating plants)

BTW: I think theme tanks ("Africa") are great :thumbsup:

HarleyK

pugwash

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
UK
I've been advised that a 55g is too small for a BGK, and even an elephantnose, as they grow to 18" and 12" respectively. Congo tetras are great, but get at least 6-8 to form a school.

Have you considered West African cichlids too? Either Kribs, or Jewel cichlids?

mikeh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2006
indiana
The Leaf fish are really beautiful, saw one in the LFS yesterday. It just hung in the water motionless waiting for a feeder to swim within reach. Doin some research on them myself, as far as water conditions etc...they seem to be really high maintenence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store