tank size for venezuela sp

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I thought I would start a new thread regarding my venezuela pike friday will be 4 week that this fish was shipped to me instead of a dwarf regani . In those 4 week it has bulked up quite a bit length wyse maybe a couple mm I have it in a 300 lt 4ft tank now I know these get huge I saw some fully grown ones on you tube so a larger tank is needed in very near future. What I woluld like some advice on is tank size for a solo fish and tank size for one with tank mates I know with tank mate can be a mine field with these pikes advice needed.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
With tank mates, 8 Feet long (2 feet wide) doesn't even seem long enough for a pike that is only 12.5" long and as thick as an adult wrist. Pikes have a tendency to hunt fish it hates. So you're going to have to love the pike more than the other fish if you decide on tank mates.

Since vennies can hit 14-16", a 6 foot long tank can seem a bit small.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
With tank mates, 8 Feet long (2 feet wide) doesn't even seem long enough for a pike that is only 12.5" long and as thick as an adult wrist. Pikes have a tendency to hunt fish it hates. So you're going to have to love the pike more than the other fish if you decide on tank mates.

Since vennies can hit 14-16", a 6 foot long tank can seem a bit small.
Agree with this.
So if a tank like that is not in your future, it'd be best to find someone you can ship it to now,, before it gets too big to successfully ship, or....
Get a 300 gal Rubbermaid trough for it to live in solo, and use it as a predatory disposable unit for extra fry or........?

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
A big difference 4 weeks has made the first picture is the pike on the day I got it the other 2 pictures were taken today. Been looking around for tanks, an 8 foot tank caught my eye but the dimensions don't seem suitable inspite of the length it was 8ft by 2ft high by 1.5 feet wide it had less volume than a 5 foot by 2.5 foot high by 2.5 foot wide tank I also saw is a wider tank more suitable than a longer tank for these large pikes.

20211114_185242.jpg

IMG_8530.JPG

IMG_3480.JPG

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If given those two options, I would probably go with the 8' tank if you want to try tankmates. The 18" width is limiting but these guys would take forever to hit 16" (though it is possible).
I kept a large pair in a 90 gallon for a while, (not ideal, but better than the 33 gal at the shop I took them from). They didn't kill each other, or the silver dollars they were with, but one did abuse the other quite a bit. Ended up moving them on to somebody with a bigger tank, I think you are right that you will need an upgrade soon.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
big difference 5 months later about 9-10 inches bit pink on the belly area would that indicate a female ?

IMG_8957.JPG

IMG_8954.JPG

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Yes, pink in the belly for the lugubris family indicates female. It will more likely be smaller than the average male by 1-2". I would think about adding more current so that it is swimming in place for parts of the day. It's easy for these large pikes to become footballs vs their optimal torpedo shape.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
Yes I have a wave maker on a timer but the pike tends to avoid the current made by the wave maker and tends to stay nearer the bottom of the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store