Tank smells like rotten sushi

JAYBIRD1011

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Wilmington NC
I’m not going to muddy the water with any more fix advice. I just want to say PLEASE read the sticky threads at the top of the page. I have kept aquariums for years and I learned a lot about how to care for my beautiful fish that I didn’t know before. It was always so confusing when I had problems. These sticky threads are there because they cover a lot of experience and knowledge. It will help you. Don’t get discouraged and give up. Once you get it, you’ll get it! This is a great hobby and very rewarding. Welcome to MFK!!

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I’m not going to muddy the water with any more fix advice. I just want to say PLEASE read the sticky threads at the top of the page. I have kept aquariums for years and I learned a lot about how to care for my beautiful fish that I didn’t know before. It was always so confusing when I had problems. These sticky threads are there because they cover a lot of experience and knowledge. It will help you. Don’t get discouraged and give up. Once you get it, you’ll get it! This is a great hobby and very rewarding. Welcome to MFK!!
Well said!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I think you guys scared him away... Lol
I have a feeling the overwhelming responses may have put OP off a little bit, but hopefully still comes back after the problem has been rectified...

Reactions: jaws7777

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
He adopted the fish, if he gets rid of them they face either certain death or life in a 29 gallon. Thats the reality of 99% of these species sold. The solution to the smell is activated carbon and twice weekly water changes.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
He adopted the fish, if he gets rid of them they face either certain death or life in a 29 gallon. Thats the reality of 99% of these species sold. The solution to the smell is activated carbon and twice weekly water changes.
You are correct as far as the quick fix for the odor.
The information post earlier by several different people was an attempt to solve the problem permanently as well as education for proper long term care.
Although It may have been a little overwhelming to the OP

Reactions: Fat Homer

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Nah the solution to most immediate probelems was simply raising the water level. That missing 40 gallons would have diluted the smell, increases filter intake and output, and made that heater safe.

People cant seem to keep it zipped when people are overstocked and you cant blame them. Its the first realization of a successful keeper. I think it would have been more effective if people had links on hand regarding the pleco instead of telling people to get rid of their new fish lol. I think the 3 large cichlids would have been fine long term with a filter upgrade and a big weekly waterchange.

Reactions: TheWolfman
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store