Tank stocking

Colek1991

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I have a 70 gallon tank with one rope fish and one palmas or marbled bichir. I had two ropes but one got that weird thing where it swims around upside down and then dies a day or two later. I change about a third of the water once or twice a week. I was wondering if there is room in the tank for two more ropes and if anyone has an explanation as to why the other rope fish died? It had no discoloration or white dots or anything. Is it even possible that this happens from head trauma from trying to jump out of the tank or something?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 70 gallon tank with one rope fish and one palmas or marbled bichir. I had two ropes but one got that weird thing where it swims around upside down and then dies a day or two later. I change about a third of the water once or twice a week. I was wondering if there is room in the tank for two more ropes and if anyone has an explanation as to why the other rope fish died? It had no discoloration or white dots or anything. Is it even possible that this happens from head trauma from trying to jump out of the tank or something?

What are your parameters now? Although you do water changes you must remain consistent with the water changes.

Reactions: kno4te

Colek1991

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
When I put the two rope fish in the tank The water parameters were perfectly fine. Acclimatized to fish properly and kept up with water changes for the first week and a half I did at least two. After a week and a half the one was laying upside down on the bottom of the tank I thought it was dead but then I saw gills were moving. I checked the water parameters during that time and they were totally fine then as well. My other rope fish is doing well and my little palmas bichir has just been in there for a couple days and is doing perfectly fine as well. The one rope fish has been in the tank for over a month now.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes very possible for trauma from jumping into the glass or the floor can cause unexpected death because the fish may have been internally injured as well.

Reactions: kno4te

Colek1991

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
It never made it to the floor because I have the tank covered very well but it may have hit the glass lid. I have the water down about 6 inches from the top of the tank now. I just need to find a place to get a couple more rope fish though. No place in Winnipeg, Manitoba has any right now. There is a place in Bec that apparently has two left. But I don’t know how long it would take them to ship here

Reactions: tlindsey

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Ropes are all wild caught, so it could have been parasites. Where did you get it and did you QT by chance?

I doubt it hit the lid, but I guess it's possible. They aren't power surfacers like polys. :) If you only have one rope and one palmas you definitely have room for more ropes. And other fish. :)

Can we see a photo of your tank?

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Ropes are all wild caught, so it could have been parasites. Where did you get it and did you QT by chance?

I doubt it hit the lid, but I guess it's possible. They aren't power surfacers like polys. :) If you only have one rope and one palmas you definitely have room for more ropes. And other fish. :)

Can we see a photo of your tank?
Agree. Ropes don't jump they climb. They use all manners of ways to catch them sometimes chemicals. A lot don't survive being caught and shipped. I have been lucky in my purchases of my current group. 3 came from magpie magpie and I got a group of 6 from my lfs after a 4week qt. I got 6 more from another lfs and qt'd them myself I lost 2 in qt to kind of the same issues you are talking about. So I had 13 before I moved I lost 1 in the move down to 12

Reactions: tlindsey

Colek1991

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Hey sorry I haven’t answered. I have been really busy with work. They were the only two fish in the tank when I got them so I guess that would be quarantining. We also have a tank at our plumbing shop with a couple oscars a common pleco and an ornate bichir and there are lids on it but not totally sealed or anything and I have never seen the bichir try to jump out or anything. I have seen it swim to the top to get some air but that’s about it.

98FC212E-737E-4778-A5B5-09B166A8B323.jpeg

95F15FBB-D94F-4A3F-9C18-4963B0D19773.jpeg

EAD56706-B2F4-4EFD-8D94-4CB0F5235A0A.jpeg

BEFF3108-FCC9-4623-BB8B-15940178AEBA.jpeg

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store