Tank Writing

cbfreder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
USA
Hey ladies and gents,

what kind of marker do you guys use to write on a glass tank? I was thinking of something that would be easy to wipe off, but not smear? Any suggestions? What about acrylic?

Brandon

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

glass is inert to the solvents used in markers. Feel free to use any Sharpie you can find. It's easily removable with a regular rubber eraser. For even easier removal use markers for dry-erase boards.

I would be hesitant to use any marker on acrylic, since it might etch the surface just enough to see it once it's removed. But I am sure there are also acrylic-safe markers out there ... if in doubt, ask your local LFS what they use.

HarleyK

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Dry erase markers work for me:)

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
I like Expo 2s the best when I use dri erase. They seem to be darker and come off cleaner.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
TankBuster;545891; said:
I just write everything in blood. A good crime scene clean up crew can get it clean after your done.
:nilly: ......

Chad

Deathcurl

BOO!!!
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
NYC
I've used art markers, sharpies, grease pencils and labels on my tanks. Either used razor blades or erasers to remove.

fishmaven

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2006
Houston, Tx
www.fishmaven.net
On glass- white paint pen medium point- use a single edge razor blade to get it off.

You can squeege the front of the tank and not remove the sign.

For some reason there's always someone that wants to mess with the signs and prices. This just makes it a little more difficult.

I know some stores use labels. I've had customers remove them and then ask how much the fish are trying to get a better price. They do the same with pricing labels on products so i use labels that come apart when you try to remove them quickly. OR I hide an extra label on expensive things.

cbfreder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
USA
TankBuster;545891; said:
I just write everything in blood. A good crime scene clean up crew can get it clean after your done.
Hmm, I was thinking more like a grease pencil or paint pen, but blood you say? Should I use mine or would someone elses work just as well?

Thanks guys! You're always a help.

Brandon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store