Tankmate for an African Lungfish?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have a Marbled African of some sort that I keep alone so I don't have to worry about him taking a chunk from someone. I was wondering if I could safely keep a large bichir with it. The hide on those guys is as tough as an old boot. My gut feeling is the lung wouldn't be able to do any major damage. What do you guys think? I would like to have a tankmate for him.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
About 14 inches. I have several different size polys to choose from that I could put in there.

tudiapaktam

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2007
Malaysia
Asian arowana is my lungfish tankmate. They co-exist perfectly as the arowana is swimming on the top part of the tank and the lungfish is at the bottom.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lungfish72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Lincoln NE
I wouldn't put any fish you hold dear with an African lungfish. They have a very fast and powerful bite. You might keep tankmates with them for a week or 6 months with no problems. But eventually the lung will nail them.

LungfishKris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2020
Hey has anybody from this I'm thread had any new insight and did you try any of the suggestions?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hey has anybody from this I'm thread had any new insight and did you try any of the suggestions?
Seen posts with Alf with large pbass, arowana, bichirs, clown knives etc. Gotta be large fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store