Tankmates for a fire eel

300ex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Im looking for some tank mates for my fire eel. He is about 12cm at the momment. He will be ion a 90 gallon fish tank. All advice and comments are apprecited.
Thanks in advanced.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
alot of things if it can be eaten by the eel and won't pick on the eel its okay what did you have in mind

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
yah jack dempsys would work
ment to say cant be eaten sorry
cichlids could work if there not to aggressive a feamale jack dempsy would probly work fine just nothing to aggressive

Lonewolfblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Fire eels are not as bad as some say. They are not like some of the other spiny eels. I had 2 that were 16 inches, and he never bothered the smaller fish. They were in with loaches, rainbow sharks, baby tiger barbs, and a few other fish. Even have tetras in there, no problems. Now I don't know what they would be like when they get to the 30" or even 40" mark.

Feel free to ask more questions, or even PM me if you like.

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
agree with Lonewolfblue. they arent badass. Had my 2 smaller eels with baby cichlids. The cichlids were food but were not touched! Have a big fire eel and he will not harm other fish in any way. Other spiny eels will eat smaller fish but fires mostly dont. Just make sure he isnt harassed by your other fish.

mj20061983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2006
arizona
is that a pic of fire eel looks wierd mine is black with a red stripe on top and bottom of body how long is yours???? what will it eat???? mine pisses me off only eats live ghost shrimp every one keeps telling me thats bad he'll catch a disease but i dont know what to do.. tried to stop feeding him live and he almost die of starvation....wtf????? any ways size/diet????

Lonewolfblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
mj20061983;966626; said:
is that a pic of fire eel looks wierd mine is black with a red stripe on top and bottom of body how long is yours???? what will it eat???? mine pisses me off only eats live ghost shrimp every one keeps telling me thats bad he'll catch a disease but i dont know what to do.. tried to stop feeding him live and he almost die of starvation....wtf????? any ways size/diet????
I feed a mixture of different things. I generally mix 2 different foods in the same setting. On some days he get's frozen bloodworms mixed with frozen brine shrimp. Other days bloodworms with krill. And on some days, bloodworms with beefheart, and also beefheart with brine shrimp or krill. I try not to feed just 1 thing.

Also, when feeding, I use a 1.5" clear plastic tube that reaches the bottom, and pour the food down the tube and spot feed them. When you walk up to the tank with the tube, he know's he's getting fed, lol. Sometimes he'll go up the tube and eat as well. The first few times he would try to turn around in the tube, he would freak, and I quickly raised the tube up off him. But once he learned the tube was not a threat, he no longer freaked, because he knew I would raise the tube off him.

Finally, never let the other fish up the tube, lol. I had a rainbow shark go up to the food, and when he found that he could not turn around, he rocketed straight up and slapped me in the face, and landed on the carpet floor. :WHOA: He wasn't hurt, and I placed him back into the tank unharmed. Just wanted to warn you of what could happen. hehe....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store