Tankmates with Gar the Good and the Bad

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
I just want to hear your stories about keeping fish with gar. Tankmates that worked well for you and tankmates that didn't last long. I just want to know your experiences so we can learn from each other.

I'll start off, this was my big mistake was my 20" gar in a 150 with a 13" red bellied pacu. The pacu was in a growout tank for 6 months and I put it in the"big tank" when he was like 7 inches and the gar chewed him up pretty good but it lived so I put him in the growout again for another 6 months.This pic was taken the day I put it back with the gar. The pacu started frin-nipping and stressing out the gar but I caught it quick enough so the gar didn't get permanent damage. The pacu then went to live with the turtle and he lived another 6 months before he got cocky and challenged the turtle for food.
so pacu dident work for me but I would like to hear if they have worked for you.

IMG_1713.jpg

mun1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Singapore
I had a spotted gar with 3 blood parrots. Just got bullied too much and they were a little too aggressive at feeding, had to give the poor guy away after only a week

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store