Tankmates

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
what type of target fish/non cichlid swimmers make good tank mates for a buttikoferi in your experience?
duanes duanes
justarn justarn
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Buttikoferi are the most psychopathic fish I've ever kept, and I was never able to keep anything in a tank with them after they became adults.
In nature they swim with Hippos eating their dung, as the hippos krapp it out, so hippos are the only thing tough enough.
lol

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In the African rivers buttikoferi inhabit, there are also giant Cyprinids and that eat hippo feces, and swim along (some kind of kind of like 2 ft Tin foil barbs, or common carp, others like dull grey colored 3 ft red tail sharks) that might work if your tank is the size of a few thousand gallon pool.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I was gonna say I believe it's the black sharks that eat hippo poo.
I had success in a 300g tank with a 14" butti.
He started murdering large cichlids at that size but 5* generals (hemichromis elongatus) done well as did my group of adult spanner Barb's, the are so boisterous I think they done his head in lol.
I found pleco and cats were ignored too.
I wouldn't suggest trying it in a smaller tank and as always every fish is different.
I am yet to come across any large cichlid that became a total killer in the 300 tbh.
Jardini and Asian aro are the worst two I tried.

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
My buttikoferi was also a madman, lived alone in a 75 gallon until about 10", attacked me viciously at water change time, and then I gave it away.
In a huge tank like Justarn says, you might have luck with large barbs or the like. In anything under a 300 or so, will probably have to be a solo fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Just spitballing but full grown tinfoil barbs if the tank is big enough?

richkid

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
Penn's Woods
Thanks everyone for the replies. Right now it’s in a 125 w a black belt and a loisielle. The black belt used to harass the Lois until I added the butti which was previously alone or w convicts (who did alright) in a 55. I wanted to simplify my set up as my time for the hobby has dwindled so I emptied my two 55s and am only keeping the 125. I got rid of a large amount of fish and kept just these three. I was wondering if I could add some sort of characin or tetra in a large school to kind of break up the tension. Right now there is no real fighting as the belt has already relinquished dominant positioning in the tank. Not sure if it will last the butti harasses at will sometimes not at all. Would like other fish to divide his attention. Maybe a convict or two?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Burris tend to fight other cichlids, so I would go with fast swimming fish that don't register as similar, such as a school of giant danios, rainbowfish etc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store