Tanks in Cali

cold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2005
winnipeg, canada
I was just wondering what is done with tanks to "earthquake proof" (if there is such a thing) them. I have been building wood tanks for years and have seen the abuse they can take. If I used the next size up in glass (use 3/8" instead of 1/4") would that be enough? How do you build a stand that you can trust when the ground starts shaking? Are you anchoring to the floor or wall?
Thanks

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
If you use a sturdy and stable tank stand that is all you need, unless the tank is built in or unstable any shaker that topples or flexes it enough to break will mean your fish tank is the least of your problems. I use 2x4S and 4x4s to build stands and they aren't going to beak unless the roof falls on them.

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
acrylic is good for cali residents
it can flex unlike glass

cold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2005
winnipeg, canada
I know you can use acrylic instead of glass for a wood tank. The silicone acts more like a gasket than a sealant, and the water pressure keeps it in place. Will this work for a smaller tank, something around 200g?

mr.dark-saint

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2005
Marina, CA
Since, I live in California I would never get a glass tank over 100 gallon (had one but sold it) that thing did make me nervous. I've gone through Loma Preatta (SP?) that pretty much leveled Watsonville 15/20 miles off. I have cement as flooring on the first floor so you get the "bounce" which might be very stressful on a big glass tank (like 200 you're thinking of). Everytime I see a large "bow front" glass tanks in the LFS I think to myself the buyer is very brave :screwy: .

I now have acrylic 100 and 125 Gal. tanks. I like the 125 since it has less "belly" than the 100 (they use thicker stock in 125).

Foundation where the tank will rest is first and formost of importance. Then the stand (I like the ones with "lips" around three sides) and real wood not partical wood or MDF. Also, the stand should be supported on the bottom fully. Then make sure there is nothing that may tip on or in to the tank (especially if it's glass) so instead of bolting the stand I'd bolt down the book shelves and the likes.

cold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2005
winnipeg, canada
Thanks for all the replies. I think my main display tank will be acrylic, probably a 400+ gallon reef. I also want to do a fish room with racking and get into some monster cichlids. I'm not sure what to do about those tank but considering the size and number of tanks, I may do wood. What is acrylic selling for down there?

magic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2005
East Bay
I have a really old glass aquarium (like probably 20 years old) and it survived the last large earthquake (7.6 i think). I wouldnt worry about it too much, maybe just a good sturdy base. If u the tank only needed 1/4" glass and u up graded to 3/8" it would take one hell of an earthquake to break it in my opinion.

magic said:
I have a really old glass aquarium (like probably 20 years old) and it survived the last large earthquake (7.6 i think). I wouldnt worry about it too much, maybe just a good sturdy base. If u the tank only needed 1/4" glass and u up graded to 3/8" it would take one hell of an earthquake to break it in my opinion.
Agreed...unless you live directly over san andreas fault line wouldn't worry too much

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store