Tapajo Aimara

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I debated hard on this but don't think I can pull the trigger. If anyone is interested Jeff @ TangledUpCichlids has 2in aimara from the Tapajos region. This is the region for the elusive "red aimara". I really thought hard about grabbing one but just do not have the space and my wife would kill me.

Jeff sent me a pic, and it is hard to tell if it is red and I doubt you can notice at the size of 2in. These guys are cheap though at $165 and he only has 3 left.

Who is going to grab one?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I debated hard on this but don't think I can pull the trigger. If anyone is interested Jeff @ TangledUpCichlids has 2in aimara from the Tapajos region. This is the region for the elusive "red aimara". I really thought hard about grabbing one but just do not have the space and my wife would kill me.

Jeff sent me a pic, and it is hard to tell if it is red and I doubt you can notice at the size of 2in. These guys are cheap though at $165 and he only has 3 left.

Wish I was more settled in, in life, lol whoever does is lucky hopefully they'll update us

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Wish I was more settled in, in life, lol whoever does is lucky hopefully they'll update us
I was debating of whether I can cohab the two : ) but my gut was telling me a 14in aimara will make short work of a 2-3in aimara LOL

Reactions: moe214

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was debating of whether I can cohab the two : ) but my gut was telling me a 14in aimara will make short work of a 2-3in aimara LOL
That'd be like the big guy eating a guppy.I would consider getting one but I have read that aimara are aggressive and best kept alone?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
That'd be like the big guy eating a guppy.I would consider getting one but I have read that aimara are aggressive and best kept alone?
People have had success in cohabing them, it just depends on the stock and the individual personality. They can grow fast though. Mine went from 4in to 14in in a year and he will probably be close to 22in around the 2 year mark. If you plan on keeping long term you need a 8x4, and it seems like they are hard to offload when larger.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
If you keep one what would the set up be like? Wolves rep are worse than the reality if you ask me. The issue comes down to their teeth and strong bite. They don't have to put much effort in killing a fish. Where as a cichlid is more likely to pester a fish to death than tear it apart. If you're going to keep it with tankmates you want them to be larger to put them at an advantage but not so much that they'll eat the wolf ofcourse. Fast and tough is the aim for tankmates. As far as set up, different hides are appreciated as with most fish. Not hard to keep. Not very picky eaters normally. Keep the water clean and the wolf well fed and you should be good to go pretty much.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Go with ur gut lol!

BOREEK

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2007
WASHINGTON DC

I just talked to Jeff and the picture he sent me I couldn't see the black dot on the side of the octabale

Did the picture that Jeff send you show the black mark on the side of the face, because I talked to him and he sent me a picture also but I can't see that most important black mark that states hands down it's a aimara

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
This is what he sent me. Hard to see if there is a spot.
A72C4BF9-0D79-4279-B985-9D9F6F9B2F73.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store