Tarpon Pictures

matthew112687

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Florida
Ive posted these before randomly, but now since there is a section for fishing, I will post them again. They are from May 2004. Enjoy.

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Damn! It's huge! Good catch and amazing pics!

matthew112687

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Florida
Thanks for all of the comments.

Zorro;592154; said:
Monster how big?
I would guess in the 80-100 pound range, but Im not sure.

It was cought using an artificial lure, and on only 17# line. It was about an hour fight, and we took another 5-10 mins to revive it after the fight. Then it darted off.

Timpon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sydney
Nice tarpon! Would love to fish for one of those giants one day.

Unfortunatelly, Australia only gets the chihuahua version of tarpons (indo-pacific species) while you guys get the great dane version. Biggest I've caught was about 10 pounds, and even at that size they pull like steam trains.

A tarpon with half it's tail cut off would pull one of Stotty's carp double it's size backwards I reckon.:D

matthew112687

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Florida
Thanks again for all of the nice comments.

It was caught in Boca Grande, Florida. The fight started on my uncles boat, and the tarpon kept swimming toward a sand bar in the middle of the pass. So my uncle manuvered the boat closer to the sand bar, I jumped off in about 2-3 feet of water and finished the fight on the bar. Towards the end of the fight my uncle jumped off too and got the pictures. The tarpon made 2 awesome jumps, it was alot of fun. I hope to catch another when the season is right.

17# line was used, on a Shimano reel. A Storm lure was the bait.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store