testing the waters, fish and tanks in MA

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2007
cape cod, MA
Hey guys, I'm sorry to report that I may need to significantly downsize and/or get out of fishkeeping in the near future, and I'm trying to find out if i should look to the forums to find a home for my fish, or just take them to a lfs. If this is the wrong place to post this I'm sorry and please move it to a better forum. There is a slight chance that I may not need to sell, but to clarify this is to get an idea of what would happen if I put them up here. It's kind of a long story, but I recently had a falling out with a close friend who allowed me to keep my tank at his house, stupid I know, but I desperately wanted some monsters and made a stupid decision, and now the best I can find is a temporary home for my tank. What I'm running now is a 180 and a 55. The 55 has an ac110, 250 watt glass heater, sand, etc., but no stand, and a very anti-social Oscar, who's somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 inches. I'm probably gonna keep that little tank, but I'm not sure how things are gonna play out. The 180 is my monsters' house, it's a solid tank, 1/2" glass, oceanic i think, with stand, but it's no show tank, lotta small scratches inside, and one big one on the outside left side panel.It currently houses 5 endlicheri, one ~9-10" , 2 ~1', one of which is blind in both eyes, 1 ~14-15" who I think has both eyes, but was sold to me as partially blind, and 1 ~17" who is definitely blind in one eye. The ~14 incher also has an interesting off-white color, not a true albino, but much whiter than usual. I also have a planiloricaria cryptodon, maybe 6", an (i believe) L235 flat flyer pleco about 5", a lima shovelnose who's close to a foot, a polypterus lapraedei ~11", a p. Weeksii ~10-11", a p. Senegalus ~8", a gibby pleco ~1', a Black arowana ~14-15", and 2 oscars, one about 12", who most likely won't be for sale, and another maybe 8", also not for sale if i can manage it. None of these fish are in perfect health, to be entirely honest, because I haven't been able to get into the house to take care of them on a regular basis, and theyre being held hostage while my former friend tries to get as much money out of me as he can. apparently those two tanks cost significantly more than a hundred dollars to run a month, just in terms of electricity:confused::irked::nilly::screwy:. the lapradei has an eye infection, hasn't responded to tetracyclin or generic fungus cure, not sure what to do at this point, especially since i can't get in to see him on a regular basis. the black arowana has fin rot, as do the two oscars in the big tank, and they also got the tetracyclin and fungus cure, they improved, but weren't cured. Before this whole bad sitch started i did at least 2 50% changes every week, and more if the paramaters dictated. pretty much all of them eat shrimp, hikari pellets, silversides and a good mix of frozen stuff avaiable at my lfs. I haven't been able to see them today, but i got in yesterday and everyone seemed OK, albeit with the issues I described above. I have a new place to put the tank for a while, although I'll have to get rid of them sooner or later unless i can find a house to rent that will let me have them, and i can't get them out until i resolve this nonsense. Again, this isn't a sale for right now, but I would like to find out if someone in Mass, or nearby if i can get one of my lfs's to ship, or else I might travel a while if someone REALLY wants one of these guys. Havent decided on a price just yet, but if I do indeed have to get rid of everything I'll also have an fx5 full of high quality biomedia, Biohome and Biomax mostly. I'd like to keep as many of these guys as possible, but some idea of what would move is gonna shape what I end up keeping. These guys lived the good life until about 3 weeks ago, and I want them to go to a home where they can be as comfortable as I made them, when that was possible. As far as any questions about the overall stocking i realize it was a bit much, but I had most of the fish I ever wanted, and everyone got along. In terms of filtering I have an fx5, an xp3, and an ac110 on the tank, and there have never been any issues with my params in the past. I may be able to re-home the fish before i get the tank out, but I'm not sure. As of yesterday the nitrate was getting pretty high, somewhere in the neighborhood of 140, as the tank hadn't had a change in about a week and a half, but no am. or nitrite. I'm gonna try and throw some carbon in tomorrow to help with non nitrate chemical buildup, but not sure if i can get access to the tank. Again, the fish are not for sale just yet, I just wanna know if someone who can take care of these guys would be interested in nursing some awesome fish that caught a bad break back to health would want them. sadly no pics at this time, but i think i might be able to get some soon. I'm not gonna be near a computer for a while, but i will be checking this thread by tomorrow night at the latest. Thanks for reading, and I'll get backl to this as soon as possible.

lymiq

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2006
virginia
I truly feel for the original post and the position he's in but this post does not belong in the Buy/Sell section ... clearly violates buy/sell rules as there's no price set ... and the OP did say 'fish are not for sale just yet'.

smitty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2007
cape cod, MA
managed to get on using my celly phone. I realize this might not be the best place for this, but I'm not sure where it belongs, so I figure a mod will move if it if neccesary, and again I apologize for any inconveience. In response to one of the earlier responses, no, this involves a woman, which means, of course, there will be no way to patch things up. the fish will hopefully be out by monday, and, hopefully, at the very least ill be able to medicate them. again, this is a hard topic to place, but at the very least SOME of these fish will be up for sale soon, and I want to know if someone would want them. at this point its apparent that if things don't change drastically, and that right quick, that I'm not in a position to care for these fish. I go to uncle neds in millis for most of my fish, and that's where these guys will be heading if no one wants them, but I wanted to know if there was any interest from members in what I have to offer. ideally I can pull something out of my *** and keep them all, but I'm preparing for the worst case scenario, and trying to make the best of it for my fish. again, I apologize if putting this in the buy/sell forum has created an issue, but I'm a little tipsy and it seemed as good a fit as any of the other forums. most of these fish will likely be on sale in the appropriate manner in this forum sooner rather than later, or else be available for purchase at uncle neds fish factory in the near future. sorry again for any issues this post has brought up, and please bear with me and correct the problem as needed, as this is a little hard for me. I haven't spoken with ayone as far as shipping, but uncle ned has been pretty awesome so far, and may accommodate me on this issue. otherwise I would love to hear from anyone in Mass who might be interested thank you again, for your patience and understanding, Smitty

StripeGirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Boston, MA
Jessica can help(thats me)I can take all your fish,I have many tanks,including a new 400 gallon system.Don't let them die..i live in boston and i will give you $$ for these fish which ned won't really do.Plus it sounds like they really need some special loving care..

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
Set something up with Jessica! She's a pro fishkeeper and god knows she's got the tanks to accomodate your fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store