Texas Hybrid Died from DuckLip...Now what?

Powers Ave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2016
My Texas Hybrid died a few days ago, rest in peace my dude. The question is now what. The Synodontis that I have in there don't seem to be affected. Is the disease still in the water? Do I need a full swap, and recycle? I'm at a loss and any insight is much appreciated. Thank you. Tank on.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My Texas Hybrid died a few days ago, rest in peace my dude. The question is now what. The Synodontis that I have in there don't seem to be affected. Is the disease still in the water? Do I need a full swap, and recycle? I'm at a loss and any insight is much appreciated. Thank you. Tank on.
duanes duanes

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The bacteria Flexibactor columnaris is still in the tank, in fact it can remain viable in damp mud for a very extended period. It may be a cichlid specific strain, which is why the cat is unaffected. Hybrid cichlids seem be especially susceptible.
After one of my tanks was infected, I turned off filtration and treated the tank with a couple quarts of Hydrogen peroxide (with a few fish in it) I figured they were goners anyway, but a few survived , If you don't rid your tans of it, it will return, sometimes not immediately, but it could always be there, unless you sanitize all..

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
ditto to what Duane said, only to add that personally I would bleach the entire system, including filters & media.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
That's up to the OP, I know what I would do ......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store