thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Real Name
Viktor
I got three mahseers from Ivan Aw3s0m3 Aw3s0m3 the summer of 2016. Two of them Ivan labeled (apparently bought) as Thai golden mahseer but I am not finding any info on them on the net. Golden mahseer is Tor putitora. Thai mahseer is Tor tambroides, according to this nice site anyway: http://www.fly-fishing-in-thailand.com/the-fish.html

There are 14 major Mahseer species under the Tor Genus and two under the Neolissochilus Genus:

Humpback Mahseer - Hypselobarbus mussullah (also called Tor mussullah)
Semah Mahseer - Tor douronensis
Thai Mahseer - Tor Tambroides
Deccan Mahseer - Tor khudree
Malabar mahseer - Tor khudree malabaricus
Golden Mahseer - Tor putitora
Soro Mahseer - Tor tambra
Chinese Mahseer or Mekong Red Mahseer - Tor sinensis
Dark Mahseer - Tor chelynoides
Blue Mahseer - Tor Neilli
Redfin Mahseer - Tor tor
Mosal Mahseer or Copper Mahseer - Tor mosal
Jungha Mahseer - Tor progenius
Zhobi mahseer - Tor zhobensis (also called Naziritor zhobensis)
Chocolate mahseer (also called Copper Mahseer) - Neolissochilus hexagonolepis
Stracheyi Mahseer - Neolissochilus stracheyi (also called Tor stracheyi)

(There are more species in the Tor and Neolissochilus Genus but most of them are very small species and not of any interest for the fly fisherman.)

Can you tell which one this is, please?

headbanger_jib headbanger_jib F fugupuff

This one is about 14", could have added about 1"-2" in my care. The other specimen is ~12" and has grown similarly too. Eat a ton, grow little. Typical. Love their pellets and baitfish.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Real Name
Viktor
For comparison, here is the classification from Wikipedia as it currently stands. According to it, Tor tambroides is Malayan mahseer, not Thai mahseer, unless these are synonymous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahseer:

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Real Name
Viktor
I do realize the mahseer taxonomy is up in flux. Jibran headbanger_jib headbanger_jib tells me Tor tor, as it stands now, is practically indistinguishable from Tor putitora.

So, I am in way, way over my head with the mahseers.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Aw3s0m3

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Real Name
Ivan
Occupation
Personal Trainer
That's no surprise how slow they're growing. All mahseers I've kept have been pretty slow. I'm in the same boat as you cuz I've never even heard of Thai goldens but that's what I was told they were so I went with the flow on it. Hopefully K kendragon is still around.

headbanger_jib

Indian Monsterfishkeeper
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Real Name
Jibran
Occupation
Feeding them pets
Tor tambroides is there in India too.

headbanger_jib

Indian Monsterfishkeeper
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Real Name
Jibran
Occupation
Feeding them pets
The above fish looks like Neolissochilus stracheyi

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Real Name
Viktor
The above fish looks like Neolissochilus stracheyi
Interesting. I didn't expect it, bro. I have a video of the third mahseer I got from Ivan, which is supposedly the stracheyi. When I post it, we'll see. I think it is the stracheyi and it looks like one with the nice lateral dark band and much more blue color, which this fish and its smaller kin do not display.

Also, Balaji aka Shovelnose on PCF, our Indian expert on native Indian fish, wrote an email to me, asking for good photos to try and ID these "Thai golden mahseer". I value his opinion a lot too. So again, we'll have more to chew on soon, hopefully. He says, though, that of course, the state of taxonomy of the mahseers is depressing, using his word :)

Reactions: headbanger_jib

headbanger_jib

Indian Monsterfishkeeper
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Real Name
Jibran
Occupation
Feeding them pets
Interesting. I didn't expect it, bro. I have a video of the third mahseer I got from Ivan, which is supposedly the stracheyi. When I post it, we'll see. I think it is the stracheyi and it looks like one with the nice lateral dark band and much more blue color, which this fish and its smaller kin do not display.

Also, Balaji aka Shovelnose on PCF, our Indian expert on native Indian fish, wrote an email to me, asking for good photos to try and ID these "Thai golden mahseer". I value his opinion a lot too. So again, we'll have more to chew on soon, hopefully. He says, though, that of course, the state of taxonomy of the mahseers is depressing, using his word :)
Balaji is a close friend, and he is our local catfish expert.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Real Name
Viktor
Another video compilation of the bigger of the two unknown mahseer from Ivan Aw3s0m3 Aw3s0m3 sold as golden thai mahseer. (Shot the same day as the first video)

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Real Name
Viktor
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com