• Tie

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
The intake sponges on my HOBs do get clogged rather quickly, but on the other hand it keeps the bio media inside the bins cleaner, and it keeps the shrimp out of my pump
You are essentially running a sponge filter with power head. That's why.

If you use high porosity foam, it will last longer. This is how AC style HOB can get away with high power pump, but makes bad mechanical filtration by letting fine pass through, and over shooting if biological filtration is the goal.

I get it about the Natural folks. Not a requirement for me. I use sponges in every tank, except where I have moved them into a sump. One tank has 2 HOBs but still gets a sponge, and 2 intake sponges. 4 of my 5 largest tanks have sumps,and the 5th has HOB + sponge in tank.

I keep 8 aquariums because they are lovely, even with filters, but fish health comes way before asthestic concerns.

My fish are the show here and I plant tanks, but some fish won't cooperate. Plants give the fish cover, often food, and they clean the water.

The illusion of another little world without plumbing is nice, but if you step back, it's still a big box inside your house. Hopefully you have nice fish in it!
That made you a fish keeper, where fish is the focus. Plant focus folks place scape first, display few and small fish, and try to hide all equipment. They favor rimless tanks to blend in, as even rims are distracting.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
You are essentially running a sponge filter with power head. That's why.

If you use high porosity foam, it will last longer. This is how AC style HOB can get away with high power pump, but makes bad mechanical filtration by letting fine pass through, and over shooting if biological filtration is the goal.
As I mentioned, my goal is to keep the shrimp out of my filter. Also snails fish fry and Wayward leaves. I simply clean it as often as necessary.

It's not really for biofiltration, as that's taken care of Elsewhere.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
I voted tie. I have a few of each and I think it depends on the application!
On some obvious flaws the Tidal doesn't fit on standard acrylic tank rims. AC fits perfect.
Tidal Basket comes out with ease and goes in with ease, AC basket is a mess to deal with, I use the sponge on the intake on all my AC to utilize the basket for biomedia.
Tidal has the Skimmer and that with the use of low setting the water trickles and gets passed many times over media is awesome.
The cover doesn't fit in any of my AC's ha I thought it was a bad joke at first. Tidals ofcourse fit perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheReefer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store