The BAD Boys- living with wyckioides and wykii

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
My condolences. Always so demoralizing when disasters kill off our favorites.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
So, of the two grow on Asian red tails I have currently one has reached 10” and has moved into the pond, the other is still only 8” so will remain in a six footer for now and provide the odd opportunity for photos. Hopefully these two can go on to reach the size of the wyckii and more.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Been a while and plans changed. The second Asian redtail joined the first in the pond along with the variagatus. Don’t see a great deal of them and for the last two months couldn’t really have told you if they were alive or not but yesterday I took the opportunity to sit and watch the tank for an hour after feeding some sinking pellets. Can confirm that the two are alive and well, the larger is dominant but both are hugely aware of the bigger variagatus and he is clearly boss. Photo opportunities are few and far between but I’ll try to dig out the waterproof camera.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
I know it's late, but I offer my condolences on the loss of your Wickii. Love the thread. I wanted to comment yesterday but personal distractions kept me from doing so. And I wanted to like every post but didn't because I didn't want to seem to much like a fanboy or gushy. Lol Gotta say I am jealous of the Variagatus. Always thought they were a really gorgeous cat but I don't have the space for such beasts and they're aggression.

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
Wyckioides are bad asses, they started fighting in 2 inch sizes, after 2 days at my tank they started swallowing feeder fishes and killing other fishes brutally, sadly I went camping for 2 days and forget to tell my brother to use the feeder fish to feed my wyckioides, it died after I went back

• Sad
Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Tending now to find that all of the hemibagrus are only aggressive in smaller or confined spaces. Give them a bit more space and you can keep them together and you can keep them with other fish too.
The two h.wyckioides in the pond at around 12-14” are with the 18” h.variegatus and all live with a mixture of other cats, barbs, distichodus and koi, ranging from 6” to 36” as well as now the female 10” h.filamentus and a 10” male albino h.nemurus

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wyckioides are bad asses, they started fighting in 2 inch sizes, after 2 days at my tank they started swallowing feeder fishes and killing other fishes brutally, sadly I went camping for 2 days and forget to tell my brother to use the feeder fish to feed my wyckioides, it died after I went back
I don't think ARTC can die from not being fed for two days.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
So, it’s been quite a while but the asian red tails (14-16”) continue to live in the pond and appear not to have grown a great deal. They are what I would class as typical reclusive hemibagrus in that they have both taken home in the dark recesses of the gap between two liners along with most of the other larger catfish in there, coming out briefly to feed mainly on sinking sturgeon pellets, but the very rare piece of hake, basa or musselmeat but are seen extremely rarely.
surprizingly they live behind the liner with the variagatus(18”), marmoratus cat(30”), the tiger shovelnose(22”) a granulosus(14”)and a Niger cat(12”). The only cats taking home in pipes or in the open are the filamentosus(12”) the albino nemurus (10”), the jelly cat (10”) the Wallago (12”) and the Lima shovelnose(18”).
currently the black shark (26”) ensures most cats are not active by day as he hates them coming out into what he considers all his pond and growth remains relatively slow meaning no one needs a bigger house just yet. The over wintering grow on koi have gone from 5” to 14” so the nicer ones will be moved outdoors and five more 5”-6” ones have been moved in to grow on now for just over a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store