The Forgotten Rift Lake

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Everyone here is familiar with lakes Malawi and Tanganyika, but inbetween them is another large lake called lake rukwa. This lake is known to have 19 endemic fish species within its boundaries. To even find the names of these fish is difficult enough, while pictures barely exist. This is interesting in that the species are all fairly common in the lake, but there have been very few scientific expeditions to the lake and their descriptions are mostly buried in old scientific textbooks and pdfs. As far as i am aware they have never been kept in aquariums despite the large collection of fish from its neighboring lakes for the ornamental fish trade. Unlike Lakes Tanganyika and Malawi, this lake is much shallower and is quickly disappearing due to environmental degradation. I am posting this raise awareness of the lake and its plight but also to encourage fishkeepers with connections to importers and collectors to attempt to establish a captive collection of lake rukwas endemic fish species and be the first documented person to keep these fish in an aquarium. Here is a brief overview of the lake and its troubles https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news...dry-up-ngos-focus-on-sensitising-locals-58104

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Commercial collectors follow the $$$$, and collect where it is easiest, and safest. Second sentence in that article probably accounts for the main reason collectors don't frequent this area.

"Situated parallel to Lake Tanganyika is Lake Rukwa, a water body in southwestern Tanzania that has the largest population of crocodiles in the country."

Reactions: TheReefer

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Oh, that is sad, and I know some Lake Victoria cichlids are really expensive now, because of the Nile Perch, that was released in there in the 1960s.
Many species are extinct now because they have been eaten.
But even catching for commercial reasons may keep some species alive, when purely bred in captivity.
I hope keepers are more responsible then at Haplochromis from Lake Victoria.
Knowing pure "thick skins" just from pictures.

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Commercial collectors follow the $$$$, and collect where it is easiest, and safest. Second sentence in that article probably accounts for the main reason collectors don't frequent this area.

"Situated parallel to Lake Tanganyika is Lake Rukwa, a water body in southwestern Tanzania that has the largest population of crocodiles in the country."
There is a large local fishery in the region focused on the lake, so i believe it is more of an economical problem. Almost no one has ever even heard of this lake outside of the region. I did manage to find a link with images of some of the endemic species found there. I believe that the lake rukwa suckermouth has the most potential in the ornamental fish trade of the four species documented on the page. https://www.biotopeone.com/fish-selection-from-lake-rukwa-tanzania/

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Running nets off a commercial fishing boat, is quite a leap from someone collecting fish for the ornamental trade.
This lake, and the rest of the lakes found in this area are easily found via Wikipedia, so not exactly a trade secret. But not all of these lakes are probably viable for the ornamental market. Much easier for a collector to go where they can make the most, with the least effort.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store