The lightening Bolt

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
His current tank mates are:
9" retail cat growing on for pond life who will move soon.
2 * 7" L114 plecs who mainly hang out in the same place bolt does.
2 * 6 " syno eupterus
1 * 8" syno angelicus
1 * 7" albino male hemibagrus nemurus
1* 5" tiger dat
1 * 9" spotted gar
As expected, plenty of filtration external and internal and the main water movement is across the tank at the end he spends most time just to calm it down at the other end for the gar and dat.
As for temperament, that of the bolt is great. Never had any issues with him worrying any other fish all through his life and with many smaller tank mates such as loaches \ botai, false giraffe cats ( the 6-8" ones) , bumblebee cats ( although they are 6-8" too) . Although when the redtail decided he preferred the bolts space to his own cave then the bolt just moved out, didn't put up a fight but didn't like it. I just made the redtails cave bigger and he moved back in, leaving the bolt to his end again. Because he is so placid that's the main reason he won't follow the redtail into the pond. I just don't think he'd fair well with the vulture, wykii, knife fish or black or variegated "sharks". The other house mates I think would be ok with. I tried him in the pond once before and he just looked so small and at risk and just kept returning to swim up the viewing pane, so I took him back out.
if he does fall out with any fish then it's the nemurus, who then in turn takes it out on the dat. But that's not often and i to be honest would probably be worse if he didn't have the setup arranged around him to get his exercise in the flow all in one place. He tends to fall out with the memories when he goes on a dart round the tank, generally nipping at hi m if he gets in the way, he doesn't go looking for him but doesn't go round him either, memories is expected to move!

Generally I don't see the same level of aggression as planetcatfish mentions but as we all know, these cats are all individuals, I also have never had a redtail before that wouldn't have eaten a 5" tiger dat by now let alone share his cave and his food with one!
Damn, that's most likely done it for him!!!!!!!!!!

Bolt does love his food and now he is nearing full length he has started bulking out more.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Well, as expected I sealed the fate of the tiger dat! Not even a week after living together peacefully the retail decided to put on weight and the dat was his choice!
so the redtail has moved into the pond at 10", kept him in a floating tank to get him used to the slightly lower temperature first for a week but now the bolt tank is a little more empty.
The albino took residence in the redtail cave but seems to think he may return so doesn't stay long. Bolt doesn't seem to notice he has gone.
May have to redecorate the tank as at some point as would like to give bolt more open space and put the real flow end to end instead of across but will have to re house the gar first.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Having transferred the bolt, plecs, synos, mystus etc. into a 150 g in the fish house for about 6 months whilst the piriaba and goonch grew on in the 125 they have all now swapped back over and the bolt and tank mates (less the redtail, day and gar) are back in the 125g in the dining room where again the bolt likes being on show. The tank has loads of hiding places which unfortunately cuts down his swimming space but his swimming tends to be more for food and midwater jaunts around the tank rather than on the bottom. He still occupied a more bare shady corner he has made his own, but he doesn't mind sharing with anyone passing through.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Having not updated this thread for a while I will give one now as it could be the last. The bolt is back in the fishhouse in the 150 along with the leiarius marmoratus and the albino mystus, as well as a few other tankmates. They have all been doing fine in what was an increased flow tank that the goonch used to live in. Recently however the bolt has been showing signs of a loss of balance and sure enough started making erratic runs along the surface and into the glass. No visible external signs or issues.
Ph around 6 but stable. Nitrite and ammonia firmly at zero. Nitrate too high (80) despite a few 50% water changes recently, most likely due to the messy cactus plecs and the pond style filter which holds more water than ideal and utilizes filter floss.
Have left the bolt a further 3 days with no improvement, further water change and a probable deterioration in balance.
Not sure how long a bolt lives but I don't think at 6 (max) old age is the issue so tonight moved him into the 4'x3'x18" net isolation basket in the pond with the goonch . This is designed to be in the flow and has increased airstones. He appears to have settled straight in but this move was done with the risks in mind and as a last resort. Let's see how the goonch (who is himself healing from a huge bite from the vulture cat) accepts his new roommate and how the bolts condition goes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store