The Longer I'm In It, The Weirder This Hobby Gets...

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The Greater Weever or Trachinus draco is just one of the eight different species of Weever Fish. This fish can be extremely dangerous because it has a series of spines that contain venom. This sting can be very painful if touched or stepped on. Like other Weever Fish, they often sit on the bottom with all of their bodies covered except their first set of dorsal fins. For this reason, unsuspecting swimmers often step on the Greater Weever and come away with some serious pain!
All this makes the Greater Weever an interesting fish, but get this, they can sometimes contain a tongue eating parasite that actually eats the fishes tongue! After their first meal this parasite will act as the fishes tongue, living in its mouth and sharing the food that the fish eats. Unbelievably, this is the only ill effects that the parasite has on the fish, making for a very strange partnership of sorts. This makes this parasite the only one in the the world known that can actually replace an organ!
Greater Weever fish are often found in places like the Eastern Atlantic, as well as the Mediterranean and Black Seas. They are not an extremely large saltwater fish only growing to about 53 cm (~20") and weighing in at no more than 1.86 kg (~4lbs).

Trachinus_draco_2.jpg

tongue_eating_parasite_in_greater_weever.jpg

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
MONSTER!!!!!

Any idea if one has a longer life span than the other? What happens to the other one if the other dies?

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
wow, that is almost mind boggling, the niches some creatures fill are amazing!

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
damn can u imagine having a bug living in ur mouth permenantly?

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
crazy!

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
I read about that or one like it, but it was fresh water, I think in the amazon river.

Crazy, looks like a giant mite.

jus85411

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
nowhere
the font cant be seen until i highlight it for some reason so i didnt read the article first before posting. but that is crazy and would like to own one just because :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store