The most colorful dwarf pike?

Goggy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2015
Thailand
Depending on the locale, I think Crenicichla Regani can be really pretty. C. Regani from Rio Negro gets some nice reds and orange. C. Regani from Rio Acara gets lots of blues. I believe all regani develop stripes when spawning(?)

Photos of C. Heckeli from aqua log:
AC39E7C3-DAEF-4E68-82AE-57713540194F.jpeg
F07AFA38-4024-470D-81EF-E76AD1354CC4.jpeg

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Compressiceps is the most colorful dwarf. The others are mostly a tan base with a dark brown/black horizontal stripe running lengthwise down the middle of the body. Females will get a beautiful pink abdomen and have one to three nice ocelli isn’t their dorsals with a nice iridescent and red border. Both sexes will have some nice iridescent parts to their unpaired fins with a nice iridescent border. All that said, the compressiceps is a lot more striking.

The regani/notopthalmus, Orinoco Dwarf type will eat fish up to the size of rummynose tetras. Deeper bodies tetras can work long term. Compressiceps have smaller mouths and can be safely kept with rummies IME.

One last thing to consider, compressiceps are more demanding of water quality and oxygenation and are much more aggressive. They’ll need a 48” length tank minimum while you can get by with 36” for the others.
I think you're getting compressiceps mixed up with the others, female compressiceps don't get the pink bellies or ocelli on their dorsals. As for aggression, I think mine might just be broken because he tries to shoal with my nannostomus in spite of being twice their size. Notopthalmus on the other hand is the snappy one with the red rimmed ocelli. Regani have white rimmed ocelli. In my opinion compressiceps is the most dull, except when you get a female in good condition with bright orange fins. I however do like the muted tan with the black blotch on the body and the vertical white stripes.

Reactions: kno4te

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I think you're getting compressiceps mixed up with the others, female compressiceps don't get the pink bellies or ocelli on their dorsals. As for aggression, I think mine might just be broken because he tries to shoal with my nannostomus in spite of being twice their size. Notopthalmus on the other hand is the snappy one with the red rimmed ocelli. Regani have white rimmed ocelli. In my opinion compressiceps is the most dull, except when you get a female in good condition with bright orange fins. I however do like the muted tan with the black blotch on the body and the vertical white stripes.
I’m not getting anything mixed up.

Reactions: dr exum

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
But as I said compressiceps doesn't get ocelli, notopthalmus and Orinoco dwarves are the ones known for red ocelli
Or as my friends call them "portals" because it's a bright iridescent ring filled in with a black void

Screenshot_20200606-180637.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store