The Most Horrible Local Fish Store You Have Seen

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Other then one particular Walmart I’ve never been to a store as bad as some described here.
The worst I’ve seen is dead fish in tanks and fish covered in ich. I won’t bother buying any fish once I see that.

Reactions: JAYBIRD1011

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
There is one store not far from me that is good in terms of fish but the owner is always seriously grumpy and the main employees are drunk most of the time, which is interesting when you ask if they have a catfish in and they are so wasted they start pointing out the kilifish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There is one store not far from me that is good in terms of fish but the owner is always seriously grumpy and the main employees are drunk most of the time, which is interesting when you ask if they have a catfish in and they are so wasted they start pointing out the kilifish.
Surprised one of them hasn't stumbled over and crashed onto one of the display tanks!

JAYBIRD1011

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Wilmington NC
We had a place in Myrtle Beach that was great! Had a lot of odd and different stuff and also sold live brine shrimp, blood worms and other things. They've since closed and now it's just the chain stores and some really out of the way independents. The worst of these PetSmart, the best one is Pet Supermarket. Not as much variety, but better quality fish.

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
I have seen some good fish stores and plenty of awful fish stores all through my aquarium hobby journey.
One local fish store/pet store which has just recently closed had some good times and some bad times. At points when managers shifted and new employees were hired, the fish room suffered. Bettas looked god awful some even dead and the stench coming from the betta area was horrendus. Dead fish floating in a big majority of the tanks. Big fish mixed with little fish. 6'' plus Oscars were being mixed with tiger barbs, roseline sharks, and the like. They had people's large trade ins like oscar and pacus kept in rubber maid tubs with a single sponge filter. One pacu and red tail cat had serious ammonia burns and gill curl.
Prices were over the roof expensive. Who in the right mind thinks a large Oscar is worth $100?
The good thing about this, is that this store was apart of a local chain. It was perhaps the only bad egg of the chain.
However, once they hired an aquarist as there fish room manager things drastically changed for the better. Trade Ins stopped, and the fish room got a huge overhaul. Tanks were crystal clear and the fish looked healthy. Plus, they had more selections bread and butter and the oddball stuff like silver arowanas, monsters, etc. Prices got drastically cut as well.
One of my favorite fish stores is currently going on a down fall. Hopefully something changes there. They just moved into a mall last year so maybe it's still a transistion. But, the freshwater section is dying down. Very limited selection only bread and butter. I barely see Oscars there. Saltwater seems to be there major attention and attraction. There prices have gone WAY UP since the move too. But the customer service is great so I don't mind buying aquarium products and the occasional fish I like.
I have more stories to share just have to think a bit LOL!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Some of these stories so far are pretty bleak. It sounds as if you guys stumbled onto the set of a low budget horry movie, not a fish store!!

On a positive note though, there are some pretty awesome fish stores as well to cancel out these kind of places.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store