The Official: "HEY! They stole that song!" Thread.

TheRealAndyCook

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2010
Canada
there is a sonic syndicate song, which incorporates the guitar part from LoZ - Gerudo Valley

when i first heard it i was all, OH NO YOU DIDN'T

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA

pi-eyed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Being a musician I hear copies all the time. Legally all you have to do is change the 3rd note in every measure to make it yours. If you really think about it; There are no notes or phrase of notes that have never been written.

---Chris

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Being a musician I hear copies all the time. Legally all you have to do is change the 3rd note in every measure to make it yours. If you really think about it; There are no notes or phrase of notes that have never been written.

---Chris
Exactly! Which makes it even more amazing when an artist rips off not only the general instrument usage and effects, but uses the same subject matter in the lyrics as well. Just so blatant, above and beyond the usual mimicry.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
Ozzy stole from himself...i just want you and back on earth

pi-eyed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Kalamazoo, Michigan
knifegill;4664728; said:
Exactly! Which makes it even more amazing when an artist rips off not only the general instrument usage and effects, but uses the same subject matter in the lyrics as well. Just so blatant, above and beyond the usual mimicry.
I hear that a lot... As the poster said "ozzy ripped off himself".... Have you ever noticed when a band makes it big their music is fresh and alive? They had their whole lives to write that first album. Then the studio executives step in with the money and say "Now we own you and all we need is 3 albums in the next five years". Not only does that stifle the creativity and make all of their music sound the same but it makes some of the bands go as far as blatant copying and stealing...This has been going on for years...
For example--Tom Petty tried to sue the red hot chili peppers for the song danley california, saying that they stole it from his "last dance with mary jane"...Then Petty releases a song that sounds like zz top's "lagrange" and his new album chock full of led zepplin guitar riffs...

Awesome thread bro--I've been wondering if anyone else was aware and sick of this behavior too...

Rock on,
Chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store