The only place to see living Chitala Lopis

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
Hi guys, I went to the largest public aquarium in Malaysia several months ago, due to busy times I haven't post for a while, I would like to share the largest public aquarium in Malaysia=Aquaria KLCC, it is the only place to see living Chitala lopis here, Chitala lopis aren't a common species in Malaysia due to overhunting for it's flesh to make fishballs and it's fish belly which can fetch high price, it is rarely kept in Malaysia due to it's value as a food fish, the local name of Chitala lopis is Belida in Malay, 淡水西刀鱼(which means freshwater wolf herring due to their flesh having same values with the wolf herring)in Chinese, they might also compete with invasive clown knifefish, common distribution of Chitala lopis is the Pahang river which is also the longest river in Peninsula Malaysia, Perak river the second longest river in Peninsula Malaysia also one of the river having most invasive fishes like Paroon shark, Iridescent shark, Clown knife fish, Arapaima gigas, Alligator gar, Pleco, Tilapia, Asian red tail catfish, Amazon red tail catfish, Jade perch, Cigar shark, Pangasius conchophilus. Perak river is also one of the rivers that have most fisheries doing here farmed fish are mostly Red tilapia, Jullien's golden carp, Red mahseer, Mad barb, Cigar shark, Iridescent shark, Paroon shark, Asian red tail catfish, Wallagonia micropogon and Yellow catfish (Hemibagrus nemurus), the last common distribution of Chitala lopis is the Kenyir lake in Terrenganu which is also the largest manmade lake in the whole Southeast asia, Kenyir lake is also famous for sport fishing and being a natural habitat for Mahseers like the red mahseer, copper mahseer and soro mahseer, they also had a mahseer sanctuary which you can experience swimming with mahseers, Kenyir lake also had a less population of Arapaima Gigas that are targeted, if anyone who caught an Arapima gigas in Kenyir lake will have a bounty of 2143.40 USD, caught individuals will be sent to parks and zoo. You can experience fishing Giant snakehead, Freshwater barramundi, Hampala, Emperor snakehead, Forest snakehead and the Green Arowana.
1669126584779.png

Claypac

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
i was there in 2018, pretty cool spot. we went to a local fish market and a few shops aswell doesn't come close to Thailand though.

20180714_153604.jpg

20180714_153539.jpg

20180714_153350.jpg

20180714_154650.jpg

Reactions: ILOVESHARKS
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store