The Piranha Nutrition Thread

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
Hello all. I believe I have the answer to my question, but I would like some opinions from the experts on here. I have a small river that feeds into the brackish Arthur Kill between NJ and NY. it is a fairly urban area and i do not trust that the river does not have contaminates in it. What are your opinions on catching the small fish in there with a trap, freezing them, and then feeding them to piranhas. Would freezing them remove all parasite concerns? Should i be worried about contaminates? I believe the area around the river used to be very industrial prior to cleanup.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Please be aware that there are regulations against that, and good reasons not to do it, aside any consideration of the health of your fish. Specifically, this type of 'fishing' is prohibited in many places (or should). It does not fall within real fishing, and therefore you can't be permitted.
Local streams and native fauna are hunting badly for many reasons everywhere, and this practice should be discouraged, and not done.
If you want the fish, you should set up your own breeding facility (choices there), to have healthy food for your fish. It is not that difficult and it is the responsible thing to do if you want live prey. Good luck!

Reactions: A&A

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
Please be aware that there are regulations against that, and good reasons not to do it, aside any consideration of the health of your fish. Specifically, this type of 'fishing' is prohibited in many places (or should). It does not fall within real fishing, and therefore you can't be permitted.
Local streams and native fauna are hunting badly for many reasons everywhere, and this practice should be discouraged, and not done.
If you want the fish, you should set up your own breeding facility (choices there), to have healthy food for your fish. It is not that difficult and it is the responsible thing to do if you want live prey. Good luck!
All good points.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store