The real Protopterus aethiopicus aethiopicus

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
This is my real Protopterus aethiopicus aethiopicus from Tana river, Kenya.
he's around 75cm now and doing very gentle with other fish in that tank (gars and bichirs) and don't make any problem since he was introduced in this tank.

Other fella from Kenya (Turkana PBB) also kept with him.

KakaoTalk_20201103_205007473.jpg

KakaoTalk_20201103_205007473_01.jpg

KakaoTalk_20201103_205007473_02.jpg

KakaoTalk_20201103_205007473_03.jpg

KakaoTalk_20201103_205007473_04.jpg

ReApEr666

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
Enjoy it while u can... i assure u he will start cutting those bichirs in half... aethiopicus does not tolerate tank mates for very long

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
Enjoy it while u can... i assure u he will start cutting those bichirs in half... aethiopicus does not tolerate tank mates for very long
That's what people who have very minor knowledge and understand about this species and Polypterus usually says.

In fact, most of African lungfish become aggressive and terrestrial when they are in their breeding season because of effect of Testosterone and other hormone system change.
And they just don't care other fish specially garnoid scaled one because they can hurt their teeth and jaw while they attack.
Unless you give them certain shock that they can feel the breeding season is coming, they are pretty peaceful.

ReApEr666

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
That's what people who have very minor knowledge and understand about this species and Polypterus usually says.

In fact, most of African lungfish become aggressive and terrestrial when they are in their breeding season because of effect of Testosterone and other hormone system change.
And they just don't care other fish specially garnoid scaled one because they can hurt their teeth and jaw while they attack.
Unless you give them certain shock that they can feel the breeding season is coming, they are pretty peaceful.
Remember that when u find those nice bichir in 2 pieces ?... hurting their jaw/teeth is hilarious. Their jaws are made like a set of shears for a reason. They will grind those bichir up for an evening snack when u least expect it. Ur specimen is right about at the size where they start being a problem to tank mates. They may seem peaceful and “dopey” but they are well aware of u and their surroundings. Ive had em cookie cutter 12” cichlids, snatch fast top water column fish, kill other lungs, snap catfish in half, and come after me just for having a hand in the tank. The larger they get, the more “aware” they become. They can be extremely fast If they need to be. Typical ambush predator, not a fun peaceful noodle like a south american or australian.

• Wow
Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

tetroid

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
Salish Sea
If this is true, how would you avoid giving them that shock? Their breeding season in the wild lasts from September to May, and corresponds to the rainy period. Couldn't a simple water change set them off, or even a change in barometric pressure?

Very nice looking lung, by the way.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Holy! Didn’t realize it was u, Giseok, because you changed your profile pick! When I saw that big of a fish, I scrolled up knowing it was u lol. How does he not snap any small Bichir in half? Truly a monster! More pics!!!

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
If this is true, how would you avoid giving them that shock? Their breeding season in the wild lasts from September to May, and corresponds to the rainy period. Couldn't a simple water change set them off, or even a change in barometric pressure?

Very nice looking lung, by the way.
For most part of breeding conditions of Protopterus is almost the same with Polypterus breeding except breeding habits.
(by my experience of P. annectens spawning and my friend's P.amphibius spawning)

water change is very big part of it because their breeding season is rainy season but some more detail parts like lights, air humidity, air pressure and water volume is also effect to them.
(How well do you feed to your fish in normal days are also very important. for maturity, they need bunch of Vitamin E, D and powerful light to make enough serotonin themselves)

For normal days, just keep them not too hungry is enough to keep them gentle.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
wow he is beautiful. I have an 18 inch albino that I am pretty sure is a aethiopicus. He has been solo (except for some small fish which he did eat) but looking at yours I am tempted to try him with some fish. Do you think an arrowana can work? I had my 24 inch male GAL with parrot fish but since removed them since he bit three. I still have a 15 inch dat with him which is going ok

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
wow he is beautiful. I have an 18 inch albino that I am pretty sure is a aethiopicus. He has been solo (except for some small fish which he did eat) but looking at yours I am tempted to try him with some fish. Do you think an arrowana can work? I had my 24 inch male GAL with parrot fish but since removed them since he bit three. I still have a 15 inch dat with him which is going ok
Arowana can be not fit with them.
I recommend to keep lung only with ganoid scaled species like polypterus or gar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store