THE SMELL....

skillzdatkillz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2006
somwhere
I have a a bunch of tanks in the family room and my mom keeps complaining about the smell. How can I get rid of it? She says if it dosnt go away the tanks go away. :(

froggyfiend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Mmmmm......dunno....do water changes more often and invest in some so those oil glade plug in things.....I have 5 tanks one one room and I dont seem to have that problem, or if I do, I cant smell it and no one has said anything to me about it.

smmfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
NEBRASKA
I have 5 tanks in my dining room and there is no smell. Maybe you should beef up your water changes and get some plug ins.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I would try RightGuard...Maybe the smell is you...LOL Honestly, use carbon and/or Purigen packs.

cbfreder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
USA
Yeah, carbon or other resins. I don't think I would recommend air fresheners/plugins. They cause oily particles to settle on every surface and I wouldn't risk it poisoning my tank.

Sometimes, you can get a musty smell from the extra humidity and stuff. Try a dehumidifier or dehumidifying package.

Brandon

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
cbfreder;527854; said:
Sometimes, you can get a musty smell from the extra humidity and stuff. Try a dehumidifier or dehumidifying package.

Brandon

:iagree:

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
skillzdatkillz;527819; said:
I have a a bunch of tanks in the family room and my mom keeps complaining about the smell. How can I get rid of it? She says if it dosnt go away the tanks go away. :(

First off... DO NOT USE AIR FRESHENERS :WHOA: , For the above reasons (cbfreder) and if you have an air pump you would be injecting it directly into the tank. (Sorry for yelling)

Could use a little more info...

What kind of smell?

Are the tanks overloaded? Perhaps it's just one tank.

What is your W/C cycle?

Do all tanks just have HOBs?

But quickest way IS water changes and charcoal, and purigen packs on output of filters as a last resort.

Keep us posted.

(Think Mom would buy that they're your only friends and it would deeply scar you if you had to get rid of them? :screwy: ending in years of expensive therapy and you having to confide in a stranger that it's all your MOTHER'S fault, but if she let's you keep them then name a pretty one after her! :naughty: )

Dr Joe

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Get an exhaust in your room to let the stale air out.
Dont keep fishfood in the room. Back in the day, my mom would always complain about the
krill and the pellets because she could smell them from outside the room .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store