THE SMELL....

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
What kind of smell are you talking about?? Can you explain? Cause it's possible that it might not be the tanks, could be a lot of other things... like window drapes, other pets, or the carpet etc.. If you have carpet and accidentally spill water on it then it could produce a fowl odor.
Do you have enough ventilation?

skillzdatkillz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2006
somwhere
Hmmm, Its hard to describe the smell. My mom describes it as an "aquarium store" smell. All my tanks are barely stocked at all. Besides the 26 with 3 small pbass and a CK. Only the26 has HOBs, my 135 has a w/d and a canister. It may be all the water that got onto the carpet when one of my pumps shot water everywhere.

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
skillzdatkillz;527956; said:
Hmmm, Its hard to describe the smell. My mom describes it as an "aquarium store" smell. All my tanks are barely stocked at all. Besides the 26 with 3 small pbass and a CK. Only the26 has HOBs, my 135 has a w/d and a canister. It may be all the water that got onto the carpet when one of my pumps shot water everywhere.

You could be right Hessian backed carpet can stink when it gets damp check you have no leaks from filters etc get down and have a sniff of the carpet. If it stinks get them valuated start a fresh and put some towels down when you do water changes. you might even have some mould round the back of the tanks that can can cause a nasty smell as well.

hoggyboss

Feeder Fish
Sep 27, 2006
U.S.A
I would use arm and hammer pet odor vacum powder. I use it once a week and the scent last for the entire week. You also might want to stick a container of Baking soda near your tank to help keep the air fresh.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
pull up the carpet and check for mold if youve had a leak before...

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
hoggyboss;528335; said:
I would use arm and hammer pet odor vacum powder. I use it once a week and the scent last for the entire week. You also might want to stick a container of Baking soda near your tank to help keep the air fresh.

Just use baking soda on the carpet and draped then vacuum it up & off. Put a couple of baking pans out with baking soda on it and set them by the tanks. That way your not floating any of the perfumes into the tanks.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
twk1;527929; said:
What kind of smell are you talking about?? Can you explain? Cause it's possible that it might not be the tanks, could be a lot of other things... like window drapes, other pets, or the carpet etc.. If you have carpet and accidentally spill water on it then it could produce a fowl odor.
Do you have enough ventilation?

You must be an orphan...NO body in their right mind would DIS a Mom's cleaning ability. :screwy:

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
If theres a noticable odor in the room from your tanks, easy fix Air freshener (preferable non-aerosal). Better fix carbon in the tanks an or filters.

Also just so you can tell people a tank once its been cycled, should have a slight odor to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store