The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I have three different types of plecos and an upside down catfish in my 125. I also have a big sponge filter hidden in the back behind all the fake plants. Along time ago I found that I didn’t really have to clean this filter much because the plecos were sucking everything out of it.

I did a big rearrangement of the whole tank yesterday and I found out that these fish have been literally eating the foam from one foam filter and what was once a smooth vertical cylinder with vertical reveals is now an artistic fish-sculpture.
image.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: FINWIN

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I have a 20 gallon sump under my 75 and I have a sponge filter in it. The 75 also has a sponge filter.

The one in the sump is covered with these tiny little snails, while the one in the tank above is not.
F8DA1225-2017-418E-B0C3-C71DD6C138A1.jpeg
In fact, between hungry fish and frequent water changes, I have lost almost all the other snails in the system.

The funny thing is that these snails never get any larger. They are getting through a fine mesh on the overflow above, so maybe I am selecting for just the tiniest snails to survive?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store