They stood no chance - Heat

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hey guys.

Heatwaves aren't fun, we've been facing 90-100°f all week just out of winter. And now it's blasted not just me, but me tetras too. As I was doing my evening feeding I saw a glowlight tetra floating in the corner. Upon closer inspection all 5 were dead.

The heater light was still burning so I threw a thermometer in; 92 degrees in there. The fish were decomposed quite badly, mind you there were eating like pigs the night before.

The ammonia was 4ppm and nitrite 5. The smell almost made me throw up.

So guys, please just be careful with smaller tanks and heaters in summer. If I unplugged it maybe this could have been avoided...

Hendré out

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just wondering why you have the heaters plugged in at all during heat waves.
Heaters are some of the most unreliable pieces of aquarium equipment, and I find when most heaters fail, its in the "On " position, tending to cook the fish.
Most fish can take minor drops in temp, so I always unplugged all heaters, May thru Sept in Wisconsin. Where you are probably just the opposite months.
If your home stays 70'F or warmer certain times of the year, there is little need for heaters for most fish.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
So guys, please just be careful with smaller tanks and heaters in summer. If I unplugged it maybe this could have been avoided...

Hendré out
I see this all the time, people unplugging their heaters thinking it will cool the tank. That's not how heaters work. They have a thermostat to turn them off above the set temp. What you have was either a failed thermostat or a tank overheated by the environment.

I've never had a heater fail on, always off.

You can get aquarium chillers for a few hundred dollars. I'm actually surprised there aren't any that will also run in reverse to heat, should be significantly more efficient than resistive heating.

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just chiming in to add to Duane's comment. Over many years of being in this hobby I have heard of a few heaters failing in the off mode, but the vast majority of heater failures I have read about (and experienced first hand) is when a heater fails in the ON position. For that exact reason I run temp controllers in my tanks to add an extra layer of protection for this type of failure.

Sorry about the loss of your fish, Hendre.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Just wondering why you have the heaters plugged in at all during heat waves.
Heaters are some of the most unreliable pieces of aquarium equipment, and I find when most heaters fail, its in the "On " position, tending to cook the fish.
Most fish can take minor drops in temp, so I always unplugged all heaters, May thru Sept in Wisconsin. Where you are probably just the opposite months.
If your home stays 70'F or warmer certain times of the year, there is little need for heaters for most fish.
Good question and points.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That was the only heater left in, unfortunately it's also the one that seems to have the worst thermostat control. Everything else is unheated and runs fine...

You can get aquarium chillers for a few hundred dollars. I'm actually surprised there aren't any that will also run in reverse to heat, should be significantly more efficient than resistive heating.
As nice as these are it's way beyond my budget, I just unplug heaters and let it roll. Hopefully everything else goes fine through the summer.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Same here, out here there's a trick: put cooler packs in the freezer or fridge and put them in the tank as needed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store