Thinbar/NTT or ....?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Just picked up this little guy (~3") yesterday at one of my LFS here in Thailand. Still a little shy in his new home (8ft. tank with young 11" Gold Cross Back Arowana and 5" Flagtail) when I'm near the tank, but otherwise active and exploring, and doesn't seem to be intimated by his larger tank mates. At the store and in the bag his stripes weren't so clear but not long after putting him in the tank they've become nicer and stronger looking.

This being my first Datnoid though I can't really ID him, esp. as it's not super clear what's going on with his tail stripes lol (at least to my Dat-newbie eyes) -- any input would be appreciated.

New baby Datnoid 12 Oct 2018.jpg

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
While further research has led me to think 99% sure this is a NTT, I'm a bit surprised in over 40 views nobody with more knowledge has been able to confirm this -- is it some weird Datnoid lol? I certainly know he's not high class, only cost 500 Thb (~US$15), but I'm happy to have him nonetheless.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yes,that is a NTT/thinbar. Good looking little guy,good luck with it.
Thanks bro, was hoping for your input, going over many other posts it's apparent you know these fish and have a lot of experience with them.

And yeah, can't beat the prices for fish here -- about a year ago I got what's turned out to be a MP Kamfa from another LFS for only $35.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
He was in a 20g high (with some Discus) at LFS so it's a big change going to a 375 but he seems to be liking it. He goes and hides behind a big sponge filter if I approach the tank but I'm sure that'll wear off; I'm happy to see his colors/stripes have thus far remained stable and nice.

He's also quite active scavenging along the bottom of the tank, presumably on some left over food, so I'm hoping that's a good sign he'll switch over easily to pellets and frozen food (because he for sure won't be getting live food, I don't want to go down that road with him or esp. Aro).

New NTT with friends ww.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks bro, was hoping for your input, going over many other posts it's apparent you know these fish and have a lot of experience with them.

And yeah, can't beat the prices for fish here -- about a year ago I got what's turned out to be a MP Kamfa from another LFS for only $35.
I read the post the other day but I didn't want to jump in and post right away,figured I'd let others weigh but that hasn't happened.Anyhow it seems to be quite lively for it's size.They usually lay around or hide if they can at that size.....you picked really well

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Actually it was a no-brainer bro, there was only 1 other in the tank and that one was a bit smaller and hiding with faded markings, this one was swimming with decent bars.

Btw, nowadays are most NTT farm bred or wild caught? (just wondering if I should do a proper de-worming). I didn't ask the lady at the LFS (as she probably wouldn't have known anyway).

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I doubt that they are farmed unfortunately though some claim that they are.I would suggest a good deworming.

Reactions: FunWow!

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I doubt that they are farmed unfortunately though some claim that they are.I would suggest a good deworming.
I went by the LFS today where I picked up my Dat and asked the owner: she said she got the fish from her long-time supplier at Chatuchak Market in Bangkok (like most all LFS here), who she was 99.99% sure gets them from a farm (and she really had no incentive/reasons to fib me about it).

And what she said kind of makes sense when one considers the price they're selling them for: she also said if they were wild caught they'd be quite a bit more expensive, but nobody (needs to go through all that trouble nowadays as some specialized farms have the breeding process down now on a wider scale (at least for NTT's, not sure about Indos and certainly not ST's -- makes one wonder though why ST's would be so much more difficult to breed than NTT's).

I'm going up to BKK in a few days for business and was going to drop into Chatuchak, I'll ask around at any vendors selling them and see what they say.

But I was going to treat that whole tank anyway with praziquantel as a preventive measure for the 3 new fish, so will do that in the next day or two -- what is your preferred de-worming process for your Dats if I may ask?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store