Things you wish you knew when you started w/ Polypterus

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
So guys, what sort of things did you wish you know when you started polypterus? like things that could go wrong or make life easier. whatever it is throw it up on this thread :)

I'll start:

I wish I got a bigger tank so I could get more polys :rolleyes:

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Cause of this i wish I had gotten a bigger tank.
+1

Also CB polys (or at least sens) are pigs at feeding time. lil bugger is always fat goodness

Zilch

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
Cause of this i wish I had gotten a bigger tank.
I think my giraffe nosed cat will be the excuse for the bigger tank. I told the wife he was going to get way too big to live in the 265, so we'd have to go to a 4-500 eventually. Her answer? "I don't care, he's awesome, we'll get a bigger tank for him"

Granted this will probably be in like... 5 years or so but, jackpot! Needless to say I keep this giraffe nose in pristine conditions and basically handfeed him lol

Fizzicks

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Assume that they are suicidal. They will find any way to kill them selves. Poly proof the tank. They will get out of cracks in the aquarium top. And get into overflows.

I had one pop the top on my overflow box by pass the mesh and down into the filter sock where it died. I assume it is was beat to death by 1400 gph flow rates from a 4' drop.

Reactions: Hendre

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I wish i knew how much they slowed down aftwr hitting 12 inches. I stayed away from LJ's thinking they would turn into tank busters over night

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
I wish I knew about MFK. Would have been more informed about raising the fish. I was feeding my bichirs just worms when I 1st started out. :p Didn't know about tilapia(bichir steroid food IMO) :D

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I wish i knew that you have to completely cover the top of the tank.
I had a cover but there was a little opening on the back for the filter and heater and my delhezi jumped out.
+1

I wish I had known they'd be like meth-level addictive :p
+999999999999999999999999999

Assume that they are suicidal. They will find any way to kill them selves. Poly proof the tank. They will get out of cracks in the aquarium top. And get into overflows.

I had one pop the top on my overflow box by pass the mesh and down into the filter sock where it died. I assume it is was beat to death by 1400 gph flow rates from a 4' drop.
+1

my 100 gallon tank is no longer known as the bichir tank or the predator tank it will be called either the suicide squad or the lemming tank because so far I've had 2 ropefish and a mystery snail jump(the snail lived)

I wish I knew my 1.5" sengalus was gonna be able to eat 50 platys in 2 weeks(he was 3" after 2 weeks lol and in his own tank......where he got ate)

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store