Thinking about a poly...

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Well, I've been looking through some of the poly threads and seeing some good pictures...and now I'm thinking about getting a poly to eventually add to my 220.

A few things that I want to discuss with everyone before I dip my toe into the poly world. Things like tankemates, growing it out, aggression, diet, poly type, etc.

I will start with tankmates. The poly would eventually end up in my 220. I currently keep three fire eels (18", 17" and 12") that are still growing like crazy and two vulture catfish (10" and 11"). The stocking is subject to change because the eels will eventually be quite large, as will the vulture cats. However, I will always be keeping at least one fire eel, which will be the main focus of the tank. So, will I still have to worry about the poly going after a 30+ inch fire eel, or will the fire eel be pretty safe at that size?

Next, I want to talk about growing it out. My LFS usually has a pretty good selection of poly's in the 2-3" range, which is most likely where I would get it. Obviously, I can't put it straight into the 220 because it will become a snack, but the next largest tank I have to keep it in is my 29 gallon bare bottom grow out tank. Will this be ok to grow the poly out to a good 10-12" size before adding it to my 220? Also, with clean water and a good feeding schedule, how long do you think it would take for it to reach that size if I get it around 2-3"?

Aggression is next. Obviously, I'm a bit apprehensive of the idea of getting a poly after seeing the recent thread that shows picture after picture of viscous poly attacks. Is aggression something I need to be that worried about, or was that thread mostly comprised of rare occasions and the most aggressive poly behavior that is not normally seen?

On to diet. Can poly's be easily trained on pellets, or do they need live or more natural frozen food? Currently, my fire eels will only eat frozen food or live worms, but my cats will eat anything. So, I feed my fire eels accordingly, and then put pellets in for my vulture cats, and everybody's happy. Do you see this being disrupted or insufficient if a poly is added?

Now, for the type of poly. I am a novice when it comes to these but I have seen a few pictures of some that I like. In particular, J jaws7777 has one that kind of has a lighter body with well defined dark/black stripes. What type is that? Also, some pictures of different poly's that are labeled with the type would really help out with this decision.

In addition to anything I've brought up here, if there is anything else you all want to mention, please, feel free to do so. The more info the better.

Thanks everyone!

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Dufe i have 20 inch plus polys with a 3 inch dat. **** happens that threads just for fun. Like any fish if it can fit it in its mouth its a risk. I wouldnt say poly are aggresive but like any predatory fosh things happen.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
With aggression, I more want to know if it is likely to attack fish that are too large to actually be a meal. Basically, will it attack other large fish "just because?"

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Polys are rarely aggressive towards other fish unless they think that they can eat it. Maybe an ornate would be good, get 18" or so and are upper jaw so a little less chewing ability

Hope this helps :)

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Polys are rarely aggressive towards other fish unless they think that they can eat it. Maybe an ornate would be good, get 18" or so and are upper jaw so a little less chewing ability

Hope this helps :)
This brings me to another question, what exactly is the difference I keep hearing about the upper jawed poly's and the lower jawed poly's?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
This brings me to another question, what exactly is the difference I keep hearing about the upper jawed poly's and the lower jawed poly's?
Upper jaw extends past the lower jaw or opposite way :)

LJ's are more primitive if I recall, and have more eating capacity. Not 100% sure though

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Upper jaws are smaller except the larger 3, which are Ornate, Weeksii and Teugelsi. I don't think the other smaller upper jaws would work very well for your tank, esp. if you just get one.

Lower jaws are more prehistoric looking, grow larger in general, and tend to be more predatory but as mentioned, they're not generally going to go on a psycho killing spree, esp. if well fed. You just need to be smart about it. Most of the pics in that thread you saw were polys eating other polys, or fish that were too small to be considered anyway.

Lower jaws:
Endlicheri, Lapraedi, Bichir Bichir, Ansorgii, Congicus
(People here say endli, Lap, PBB, Ansorgii, Congi)

That being said there are different catch locations of those fish so you'll see names like Koloton or Faranah Lap, and they are both Laps but will look different. Different Endlis will look different.

Post the pic of J jaws7777 fish that you like - he has a buch of gorgeous fish! I bet it was his Faranah Endli.

In the stickies are general species info, sizes, pics:
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/all-bichir-polypterus-species-updated.684410/

Endli and Lap variant pics:
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/endli-and-lap-varients-with-pics.110952/

If you order online via Wet Spot (occasionally has larger) or Toyin (the poly guru) you can DEFINITELY get polys larger than the 2-3 inch mark so they'd be big enough to go right in your 220. I would suggest doing that personally. But most polys will grow an inch or so a month until they slow down, and I've read for lower jaws that that's usually around 12" or so.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Polys will generally eat pellets once they're used to them.

Everyone here will also recommend fish regularly - most do tilapia. You can get human grade tilapia frozen and then cut up and thaw for their meal. You can also do earthworms.

Can you post a picture of your 220 for us?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Well, I've been looking through some of the poly threads and seeing some good pictures...and now I'm thinking about getting a poly to eventually add to my 220.

A few things that I want to discuss with everyone before I dip my toe into the poly world. Things like tankemates, growing it out, aggression, diet, poly type, etc.

I will start with tankmates. The poly would eventually end up in my 220. I currently keep three fire eels (18", 17" and 12") that are still growing like crazy and two vulture catfish (10" and 11"). The stocking is subject to change because the eels will eventually be quite large, as will the vulture cats. However, I will always be keeping at least one fire eel, which will be the main focus of the tank. So, will I still have to worry about the poly going after a 30+ inch fire eel, or will the fire eel be pretty safe at that size?

Next, I want to talk about growing it out. My LFS usually has a pretty good selection of poly's in the 2-3" range, which is most likely where I would get it. Obviously, I can't put it straight into the 220 because it will become a snack, but the next largest tank I have to keep it in is my 29 gallon bare bottom grow out tank. Will this be ok to grow the poly out to a good 10-12" size before adding it to my 220? Also, with clean water and a good feeding schedule, how long do you think it would take for it to reach that size if I get it around 2-3"?

Aggression is next. Obviously, I'm a bit apprehensive of the idea of getting a poly after seeing the recent thread that shows picture after picture of viscous poly attacks. Is aggression something I need to be that worried about, or was that thread mostly comprised of rare occasions and the most aggressive poly behavior that is not normally seen?

On to diet. Can poly's be easily trained on pellets, or do they need live or more natural frozen food? Currently, my fire eels will only eat frozen food or live worms, but my cats will eat anything. So, I feed my fire eels accordingly, and then put pellets in for my vulture cats, and everybody's happy. Do you see this being disrupted or insufficient if a poly is added?

Now, for the type of poly. I am a novice when it comes to these but I have seen a few pictures of some that I like. In particular, J jaws7777 has one that kind of has a lighter body with well defined dark/black stripes. What type is that? Also, some pictures of different poly's that are labeled with the type would really help out with this decision.

In addition to anything I've brought up here, if there is anything else you all want to mention, please, feel free to do so. The more info the better.

Thanks everyone!
I think its awesome that your getting into polys man. I think you would enjoy them.

Overall polys arent an aggressive fish. Out of all the polys that ive had tje only one that was truly aggtessive was an endlicheri "dabola". A coulple of other members reported the same behavior. Could be that we just got unlucky.

As far as which one its really in your taste and what your willing to do to obtain one. Ordering a wc one through the mail woukd allow you more of a selection to pick from vs getting one from your LFS.

Is this what you were reffering too ? 20170516_065458.jpg

Reactions: clm08k and magpie

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Also i think with the level of care and your experience the 29 would be fine to grow something out in. I would say out of the 3 upper jaws that get large enough for your current stock i would cross weeksii off the list as from what ive heard they grow slow. Teugelsi and ornate would be a better fit. More than likely your lfs wouldnt carry teugs so ornate it is !!! Lol

One last thought. For the most part the really cool looking lower jaws like magpie mentioned look best when kept on red garnet sand or similar substrate. If it were me i wouldnt want to keep lower jaws on anything but garnet sand. They just look soo impressive. If changing out the substrate is a no go then just get yourself an ornate. You'll be happy with it

Reactions: Bathi and magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store