Thinking about chichla but have some questions

manakh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2016
First the tank available is 72"x30x30 acrylic, is that footprint acceptable for any of the chichla? I know intermedia and kelberi aren't quite as big as the others so was crossing fingers on one of those.

Don't Flame for this next question and yes I understand the variables, only seeing if my schedule meets the needs. if there were 2 adults in that tank what would be the estimated bare minimum water change % and frequency to prevent nitrate build up? I already do more water changes then necessary and I test my water, the issue is my job will sometimes prevent me from maintaining an exact precise schedule. So I change my water every chance I get sometimes every 3-5 days once in a while it has to go 5-8 days but I always keep nitrates around 10ppm and rarely do they ever exceed 20ppm. I'm not asking for power growth and feeding, I'm just asking for purposes of keeping the fish healthy and not go to test water after 6 or 7 days and be OMG there's 80ppm nitrates and need multiple 50% changes... As far as I see it if going 5-8 days results in 50% changes daily to catch back up on water quality then these fish exceed what I could responsibly commit to.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I think you’ll be ok, but I don’t have a ton of experience with peacock bass. However, you might see some higher nitrate readings, but you can just do a larger water change to make up for it. Every weekend I change about 90% of my water. I use about half aged and heated water and about half tap water. As long as you use a good dechlorinator, you should be fine.

richyrich

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
uk
Ye mate think you should be ok I wrk away sometimes and have to do water change after roughly 10 days not often but still, I usually do water changes every 5-7 days about 30%-40% but really does depend on stock, food and your filtration but I also put an inline dechlorinator on my hose when filling. I manage to keep my nitrates down ok and monitor my water perameters regular so increase or decrease feeding if need be.
I think that foot print should be ok just perhaps stay away from tems.
Not sure on your filtration but I have a sump setup which I change filter floss regularly and use fluidised k1 media with a fast turn over also got a sperate pump attached to uv system which also speeds turnover.
I also use a wave maker not only to help with airation and water/surface movement but to keep any pellets/floating food from being trapped in the sump return.

manakh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2016
Filtration is never an issue between sumps, fx6's, and power heads with sponges. I like to try to stock myself so that a 30% every 5-7 days will maintain close to 10ppm. And when I can I add in an extra 20-25% change just to keep everything cherry. I really don't like doing 50% at a time and having to turn everything off. 30% and the way everything is set up I can leave things running.

richyrich

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
uk
I think 30% every 5-7 days should be fine for 2 bass in that size tank moderately fed.
But I do think feeding and filtration key.

manakh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2016
I like the look of mono's the most tho lol but they get a little bigger it sounds like.

timtk

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2017
Adult cichla aren't particularly sensitive or finicky fish. Just keep your nitrates at a fairly reasonable level. I would stay away from the larger ones like azuls and tems. Maybe try starting out with a few smaller cichla like kelberis and see how your water parameters are doing as they grow, and thin out the pack as they get larger if needed.

Monos are like the franzia of cichla. I think you'll find you dont like them as much as other species the longer you keep cichla. Another benefit of keeping more desirable species like kels is that you can sell them easier if you decide a piece isn't working out in your tank. If you have cb monos or ocels youll probably have to give them away or sell them for chump change.

Last edited:

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Plants are you friend and can keep your nitrates low. They will greatly reduce the amount of water you need to change just some food for thought.

Zaid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
can anyone help me to know whats the name or kind of this fish please

IMG_6593.jpeg IMG_6597.jpeg IMG_6599.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store